Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Same man?

Skipman

Ears look very different

Left hand man has jug ears, right hand man flat ears

Thanks corisande. I think you're right and I have my doubts. The one on the left is definitely Charles Low Stewart, 6th Black Watch, the other, I have been told is Charles Low Stewart as a Home Guard sergeant.

Mike

Edited by Skipman

Yes, because the left hand photo is press and poor quality, it is difficult to say for sure with any of his features except the ears

The mouths look different, but that could be the pixilation of press photo, and I think the heights of the ears above the eyeline are different, but difficult to say for sure with angles of the heads being different

But the ears are so different, and it is very unlikely that he had an "ear job" for protruding ears between 1920 and 1940 :)

There are definitely similarities but as you say, the ears are distinctive. The older photograph is a still from a film. i suppose they might have pinned ears back somehow for the cosmetics of a film.

Mike

The hairline looks similar there is a lighter area on the older man but the shape looks similar on the left of the younger man. The rounded lobe looks similar.  Squarish foreheads too. The angles dnt show if the older chaps ears stick out. I think though that one looks like a broken nose whilst the other doesn’t but the positions make it hard to determine.  Though I think the bone structure would be a more hooked type nose side on for the younger chap.  Reasonable chance they are the same bloke. 

Thank you Alison. I think in the end, there are many reasons why it could be him, but not able to be certain. Unless something else turns up, we will never know.

Mike

Hi Mike and all,

What other info. have you on L/Cpl 1957 Charles Low Stewart b. 14.9.1891. d.22.4.1958. His middle son Donald had 2 children, he died 9.7.1997, Altrincham, Cheshire.....possible links for more info.

Regards Barry

13 hours ago, Skipman said:

Thank you Alison. I think in the end, there are many reasons why it could be him, but not able to be certain. Unless something else turns up, we will never know.

Mike

Hi Inspector. I have quite a bit. His son was killed in WW2. i had conversations with a man who knew Charlie Stewart. Unfortunately, we never did managed to see this film together before he passed away, he would have known for sure.  I will be happy to improve my knowledge of the man but don't go to any trouble, and certainly no expense.

Thanks as ever

Mike

Hi Mike

Can find photos of 2 of his brothers (Thomas and William) but nothing further on him , one of ten children.  Peter Irons Stewart  MM,1888- 18.10.1918 another brother was Cpl.916043 in the RHA/RFA.

Regards Barry

Edited by The Inspector

• 2 weeks later...

Mike,

Many years ago you posted a photo of the Birks football team in the Aberfeldy thread of the SWMP. The captain is Charles Low Stewart and the picture is of better quality then the newspaper image above. I think if you look, and 'age' him, it could well be your man in the Home Guard.......I suppose eye of the beholder and all that though.

34 minutes ago, dhubthaigh said:

Mike,

Many years ago you posted a photo of the Birks football team in the Aberfeldy thread of the SWMP. The captain is Charles Low Stewart and the picture is of better quality then the newspaper image above. I think if you look, and 'age' him, it could well be your man in the Home Guard.......I suppose eye of the beholder and all that though.

By jove!, Well-spotted dhubthaigh I have just had a look. haven't looked at it for quite a while and had not put two and two together.

Mike

temp Birks football team 1.PNG

temp Birks football team 2.PNG

temp Birks football team 3.PNG

Best I can do to compare. I still do not think the WW2 man could have altered his ears as much

Bottom line is that to be sure you would need other evidence

stewart.jpg.dfdf40590d3f2e103faca425268dc0ef.jpg

There is a definite facial resemblance isn't there between the footballer and the older man in the 2 later photos. Especially the eyebrows. The first photo though is a typically (badly) retouched newspaper photo of the era.

I agree, the ears are different, so to me, they must be different although possibly related men.

I wonder though if Bat Ears can flatten over time?

Edited by Dai Bach y Sowldiwr

19 minutes ago, Dai Bach y Sowldiwr said:

I wonder though if Bat Ears can flatten over time?

Several long cold winters in a balaclava?

Thanks again all. Just as a matter of interest, the lad D Adams standing on the right was killed in action on the 20th October 1915, near Vermelles, 3022 David Adams, of the 'Shiny' 7th London.

Mike

• 5 months later...

Looking at this again and came across a clip from the Perthshire Advertiser, 10/3/1943. See attached. I knew the scene was fimed in Kenmore Street, Aberfeldy. This confirms that the name of the lady serving tea is "Mrs Stewart" further backing up my theory that this is Charles Low Stewart, would you agree?

Mike

Freedom Aberfeldy Stewart.PNG

On 05/07/2019 at 10:49, IPT said:

Here's the other Home Guard ear.

LS.jpg.66f155b8dd55c3d21dd79398e3a6cb96.jpg

Will look into this over time. IPT may be correct, but am not sure soldier having tea is same as man playing golf, who seems to be Mr A Morrison?

Mike

That's curious Mike,

Looking at your newsreel (post #22)

The young sailor dismounting the train  (@2:42  & 2:53 on), looks the spitting image of the young soldier in your OP.

And the next man off the train (@2:44 ? in ANZAC hat) is the spitting image of the older man in the same post. (Especially his appearance in post #17.

(But I think the older man on the left having tea is Mr Stewart...)

Are they all related maybe?

Edited by Dai Bach y Sowldiwr

Thanks Dai. The three servicemen are antipodean. Have not been able to identify them. As far as I know they were not related to any locals. No idea why they were chosen either. Still not sure if the old sergeant in the Home Guards is my Charles Low Stewart but there's a chance. Charlie Stewart seems to have been a well-known and well-respected figure. Was also a member of local fire brigade.

Mike