Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Court Martial Records

Julia Thompson

Hi, I’ve only just joined this group on recommendation so thank you for adding me. I’m researching my GGF who was killed in April 2018 after serving in the Booe War & throughout WW1. I have been lucky enough to locate some interesting information, a lot from a wonderful man on another site who offered to help. Where I’m stuck is he’s told me my GGF was demoted from sgt to pte due to misconduct & a court Marshall was held. He said Fold3.com may have a record of this but when searching I don’t seem to be able to filter down to what I’m looking for. Does anyone here have some tips please on how to use the site? I have plenty of info including name, btn, rank, number, dates etc. 
Thank you in advance 🙏😀

Edited by Julia Thompson

Hi Julia,

Welcome to the Forum.

If you were to post as much as you already know, hopefully some Pals might be able to dig out some more info for you. Without any details it will be difficult for anyone to advise in anything but general terms.

Regards

Chris

Edit:

As per johnboy

Edited by clk

Julia,

others may be able to help with Fold3 (sadly I don't have access).

But if that draws a blank and you have any opportunity to visit the excellent National Archives in Kew (they're free and open to all, you just need to pre-book a visit) you could ask to examine the large ledgers that contain very brief details of men's offences and punishments.  These ledgers are in the WO86 and WO213 series.  More information on these is available at:

WO86  -  https://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/C14294

WO213  -  https://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/C14419

Best of luck,

David.

If you correct the title to read "Court Martial" your thread is more likely to index well and be found by those who might assist.

Hi all & thank you for your replies- I’ve adjusted the title and stand corrected for my ridiculous spelling! 

So my GGF was Pte Samuel Laurie, 2880, 3rd btn Scottish Rifles in the Boer War & 1st btn Scottish Rifles WW1. He was born in 1879 & I have family tree details already. He was killed in action 11/04/2018 and I have the details of his medals and where he’s buried. What I’m interested to know is the reason for him being demoted from Sgt to Pte due to misconduct. I’ve been told this info may be on Fold3 but when I looked I found it a really difficult site to navigate and narrow my search.  If anyone could spare the time to help me I’d be very grateful 😀🙏🏻 Thank you, Julia

Hi Julia

You are looking for the record set - UK, Naval and Military Courts Martial Registers, 1806-1930. You can find them on Ancestry and go to Fold3 that way, or search within that record set on fold3 itself.

He's recorded as S. Laurie - he was tried at St. Nazaire on 26th October 1914. I believe the charges were Absence from Parade and Disobeying lawful Command of Superior Officer. His sentence was reduction to the ranks.

This link may take you direct to the record - https://www.fold3.com/image/537891350/?xid=1022

Cheers

Barrie

Edited by barrieduncan

Hi Barrie, thank you so much for taking the time to look into this for me. It sounds like a big punishment but I guess we’ll never know the detail. We’re going to visit his grave later this year- I don’t think anyone in the family has done so before so it will be an emotional trip. Thanks again, Julia