Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Naval LS & GC medal, which ribbon please?

lucycutler

Hi Guys, I recently acquired a George V Naval LS & GC medal minus its ribbon.  The image of the King is the 'coinage' version i.e. just his head, rather than the earlier one of him in naval uniform.  In the pictures I have seen, this medal is shown sometimes with a broad dark (navy) blue stripe, sometimes with a lighter, mid blue stripe.  Can anyone enlighten me as to which is the correct one please?

Should be navy, to the best of my recollection. Anything lighter has probably faded - displayed in sunlight, or similar.

10 hours ago, seaJane said:

Should be navy, to the best of my recollection. Anything lighter has probably faded - displayed in sunlight, or similar.

Thank you SeaJane. I'll get that type of ribbon.

You seem to be on track but just to confirm...

"Ribbon
The original 1848 ribbon, worn with the original wide suspender version of the medal, is 38 millimetres wide and Navy blue, with 7 millimetres wide white edges. Along with the second version of the medal with its narrower suspender that was introduced in 1874, the ribbon dimensions were changed to 32 millimetres wide and Navy blue, with 6½ millimetres wide white edges."

On ‎21‎/‎06‎/‎2019 at 15:12, BullerTurner said:

You seem to be on track but just to confirm...

"Ribbon
The original 1848 ribbon, worn with the original wide suspender version of the medal, is 38 millimetres wide and Navy blue, with 7 millimetres wide white edges. Along with the second version of the medal with its narrower suspender that was introduced in 1874, the ribbon dimensions were changed to 32 millimetres wide and Navy blue, with 6½ millimetres wide white edges."

Many thanks.  Always good to see the official text.