Jump to content
Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Militärpak - Translations and Breakdown


Tomb1302

Recommended Posts

Hello everyone, picked this one up recently in the town of Romagne, in France, and I wanted to know if anyone could provide any kind of summary; hopefully on the soldier, the book itself, and/or his journey.

 

I don't speak a word of German, but, I was able to highlight some dates, and provide some of the stamps and individual parts of the book, and it would appear he saw action throughout Verdun, but I can't even make out his name.

 

I'm sorry I can't provide more - If you'd like me to take pictures of other elements, let me know!

 

Thanks all!

 

* * * * *

 

@Jools mckenna

0-4.jpg

0-2.jpg

0-3.jpg

0.jpg

0-1.jpg

Edited by Tomb1302
Link to comment
Share on other sites

He belonged the 3.Landsturm-Infanterie-Ersatz-Bataillon Braunschweig of 10th Army Corps

Edited by Jools mckenna
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Hi,

his name was Füsilier August Rehmert. He started service with II Ersatz Btl. des FR 73 as off 28.06.1916. A replacement unit for Füsilier Regiment 73, Jünger´s regiment. He was then transferred (why ever) to 3.Landsturm-Infanterie-Ersatz-Bataillon Braunschweig from which he was transferred to to help guard the POW camp Holzminden. All else is a bit difficult to make out. It would have been better to scan the double pages on one page, as they refer to each other. And yes, he fought in the vicinity of Verdun.

Best,

GreyC

Link to comment
Share on other sites

He was serving at the front from 18 Mai 1916 until 4 June 1916 with Reserve Infanterie Regiment 74 in the Battle of Verdun. He was wounded on 4 June 1916.

 

Jan

Edited by AOK4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

54 minutes ago, Jools mckenna said:

He belonged the 3.Landsturm-Infanterie-Ersatz-Bataillon Braunschweig of 10th Army Corps

 

35 minutes ago, GreyC said:

Hi,

his name was Füsilier August Rehmert. He started service with II Ersatz Btl. des FR 73 as off 28.06.1916. A replacement unit for Füsilier Regiment 73, Jünger´s regiment. He was then transferred (why ever) to 3.Landsturm-Infanterie-Ersatz-Bataillon Braunschweig from which he was transferred to to help guard the POW camp Holzminden. All else is a bit difficult to make out. It would have been better to scan the double pages on one page, as they refer to each other. And yes, he fought in the vicinity of Verdun.

 

Best,

GreyC

 

32 minutes ago, AOK4 said:

He was serving at the front from 18 Mai 1916 until 4 June 1916 with Reserve Infanterie Regiment 74 in the Battle of Verdun. He was wounded on 4 June 1916.

 

Jan

Everyone - Thank you so much! I do see some differences between responses - Namely the 73/74 Regiment. Why is this?

 

Jools - As ever, thanks so much my friend!

 

GreyC - I will try to better scan the pages. Which images (top to bottom) are missing elements? Additionally, are you able to directly read the German?

 

Jan - You say he was wounded. Where did you see this?

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

22 minutes ago, Tomb1302 said:

Namely the 73/74 Regiment. Why is this?

GreyC - I will try to better scan the pages. Which images (top to bottom) are missing elements? Additionally, are you able to directly read the German?

Jan - You say he was wounded. Where did you see this?

 

 

FR 73 was a Fusilier Regiment and RIR 74 was a Reserve Infantry Regiment but both basically acted as Infantry. Here is his appearance on the German Casualty list.

Edited by Jools mckenna
Link to comment
Share on other sites

36 minutes ago, Jools mckenna said:

FR 73 was a Fusilier Regiment and RIR 74 was a Reserve Infantry Regiment but both basically acted as Infantry. Here is his appearance on the German Casualty list.

Thanks Jools, and thanks to you and AOK4 for providing me with this -

 

 

Screen Shot 2019-06-18 at 9.47.17 PM.png

Link to comment
Share on other sites

He was in the Ersatz Bataillon of FR 73, this was the training unit in Germany. He was then sent to a frontline unit recruited in the same area, namely Reserve Infanterie Regiment 74.

 

It is written "4.6.16. in den Kämpfen vor Verdun verwundet".

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, AOK4 said:

He was in the Ersatz Bataillon of FR 73, this was the training unit in Germany. He was then sent to a frontline unit recruited in the same area, namely Reserve Infanterie Regiment 74.

 

It is written "4.6.16. in den Kämpfen vor Verdun verwundet".

Thanks for clarifying!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

To those asking, namely @GreyC -I wasn't able to scan- I took better and more clear pictures of some of the double pages, if you're able to help take a look.

 

Thanks all!

 

 

0-1.jpg

0-2.jpg

0-3.jpg

0-6.jpg

0-8.jpg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Hi,

unfortunately the pages were not put up in chronological order.

I listed his service in this order:

Military CV:

1st November 1915 to 28th June 1916 3rd Coy II. ErsBtl FR 73. From 15th May at the front.

From 18th May commanded to 5 Coy RIR 74

Participated: Verdun 18th May-4th June when wounded

4th June 1916 fleshwound to the head by artillery projectile at Verdun

5th June 1916 to 19th June 1916 Hilfslazarett Phillipsburg/Baden

20th June to 7th July 1st Coy ErsBtl RIR 74. From there to 4th Coy.

because of mobilization from 7th July till 27th July 1916 drafted to 4th Coy of Ersatz Btl. RIR74

From 27th July transferred to 5th Coy Ersatz Btl RIR 74 till 12th Sept. 1916 which seems to have been the Genesenden Kompanie EB RIR 74 [Convalescence coy Ers.Btl. RIR 74]. Back to 4th Coy EB RIR74 and from there on 12th September 1916 to 3. Landsturm Btl. Braunschweig (X/17 ) at Harburg [today part of Hamburg]

12th September 1916-30.09.1916 1st Coy 3. Landsturm Btl. Braunschweig (X/17 ) at Harburg.

30.09.1916 to Landsturm Inf. Ers. Btl. X/27 at Holzminden.

This document was a duplicate, the original was lost, so some info is missing.

GreyC

Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 minutes ago, GreyC said:

Hi,

unfortunately the pages were not put up in chronological order.

I listed his service in this order:

Military CV:

1st November 1915 to 28th June 1916 3rd Coy II. ErsBtl FR 73. From 15th May at the front.

 

From 18th May commanded to 5 Coy RIR 74

Participated: Verdun 18th May-4th June when wounded

 

4th June 1916 fleshwound to the head by artillery projectile at Verdun

 

5th June 1916 to 19th June 1916 Hilfslazarett Phillipsburg/Baden

 

20th June to 7th July 1st Coy ErsBtl RIR 74. From there to 4th Coy.

 

because of mobilization from 7th July till 27th July 1916 drafted to 4th Coy of Ersatz Btl. RIR74

 

From 27th July transferred to 5th Coy Ersatz Btl RIR 74 till 12th Sept. 1916 which seems to have been the Genesenden Kompanie EB RIR 74 [Convalescence coy Ers.Btl. RIR 74]. Back to 4th Coy EB RIR74 and from there on 12th September 1916 to 3. Landsturm Btl. Braunschweig (X/17 ) at Harburg [today part of Hamburg]

12th September 1916-30.09.1916 1st Coy 3. Landsturm Btl. Braunschweig (X/17 ) at Harburg.

3

0.09.1916 to Landsturm Inf. Ers. Btl. X/27 at Holzminden.

 

This document was a duplicate, the original was lost, so some info is missing.

 

GreyC

Wow... GreyC, thank you so much...

 

It seems this was a very interesting find, and I don't know how else to thank you for interpreting this for me!

 

Is there anything more I can do to help?

 

What does this line mean though 'This document was a duplicate, the original was lost, so some info is missing.'?

 

Thank you @GreyC

Link to comment
Share on other sites

29 minutes ago, Tomb1302 said:

 

What does this line mean though 'This document was a duplicate, the original was lost, so some info is missing.'?

 

Thank you @GreyC

 

That it is a duplicate made to replace a Militärpaß which had gone missing somehow. Military passes were usually kept in the unit's offices, the soldiers had an accompanying pay book with them.

 

Jan

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, AOK4 said:

 

That it is a duplicate made to replace a Militärpaß which had gone missing somehow. Military passes were usually kept in the unit's offices, the soldiers had an accompanying pay book with them.

 

Jan

So the Military Pass would not have been carried by the soldier himself?

 

Apologies if I'm misunderstanding @AOK4

Link to comment
Share on other sites

That´s correct. As soon as the soldier was on active duty the MP was kept with the unit, I believe. The soldier carried his Soldbuch. After his military duty was over and the soldier released (in peacetime) he would get the MP to keep it as long as he had to serve with Landwehr/Landsturm. During WW2 and if he was KIA the relatives would get the MP. How that was handled during WW1 I don´t know. Jan will know in more detail, I am sure.

GreyC

Edited by GreyC
Link to comment
Share on other sites

53 minutes ago, GreyC said:

That´s correct. As soon as the soldier was on active duty the MP was kept with the unit, I believe. The soldier carried his Soldbuch. After his military duty was over and the soldier released (in peacetime) he would get the MP to keep it as long as he had to serve with Landwehr/Landsturm. During WW2 and if he was KIA the relatives would get the MP. How that was handled during WW1 I don´t know. Jan will know in more detail, I am sure.

GreyC

Thank you very much GreyC. I will give it a thorough observation, and come back to it tomorrow.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

GreyC: you are correct. This was how it was during WW1 as wel as far as I know from what I've read and seen.

 

Jan

Link to comment
Share on other sites

@AOK4, @GreyC, @Jools mckenna

 

Thank you guys for your help - I really appreciate it!

 

I'm very happy with the find!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...