Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Mining operations

Leros24

I have been sifting through the posts on Gallipoli as a new member and came across a topic asking about mining operations on the Peninsula over 10 years ago. I have long had an interest in Gallipoli and have visited it once. I have trolled through the various war diaries, documents and memoirs and can add that in addition to primary mining activity occurred at Helles and at Hill 60. VIII Corps formed its own mining company on 21 August comprising former miners and RE personnel, primarily from the Royal Naval Division and 52nd Division. This was subsumed on 27 Dec by 254 Tunneling Company RE, which arrived on 7 Dec and which was based near Pink Farm.

The following entries give a flavour:

Helles.

- 7 Manchester reported a Turkish mine exploding on 15 Sept during morning stand to at Border Barricade.

- 10 Manchester reported a Turkish mine exploding at Fusilier Bluff on 14 Oct, burying 3 of its men present as a working party.

- 7 Manchester recorded on 4 Dec a Turkish mine exploding and debris filing in 30 yards of its trench at Cawley’s Crater, causing 1 dead and 7 wounded.

- 7 Lanc Fus discovered a Turkish mine shaft on 15 Dec at The Gridiron, near Cawley’s Crater, which it destroyed with an explosive charge.

- 7 Lanc Fus reported on 19 Dec a British mine exploding near The Gridiron and the crater eventually being secured and named Boyd’s Crater.

- 4 East Lancs and 9 Manchester reported British mines being exploded near Fusilier Bluff on 19 Dec but no craters forming.

- 4 and 5 RSF used two mines in their capture of G11Y and H11A trenches on 29 Dec.

Hill 60.

- 4 Northants recorded sending up a mining party on 19 Oct to start tunneling in the right hand sector of 163 Brigade.

- Welsh Horse recorded that on 12 Oct it was attached to 163 Brigade for mining and sapping.

- 4 Northants reported a Turkish mine exploding at 5pm on 25 Oct causing no damage.

- 5 Suffolk and Welsh Horse reported at least 6 British mines exploding under the Turkish front line on 15 Nov but results were disappointing.  1 dead and 8 injured by debris in 5 Suffolk.

- Welsh Horse reported a Turkish mine exploding on 20 Nov, burying 8 men.

• 4 years later...

Interesting the Ottoman and German records during this peroid are very short on any details of mining operations by them or us.

While there were large numbers of mining personal in the Chanak area, these were more Naval then land based

Unless some of our Turkish friends can find some, there are no accounts, I can think of from the other side.

I know the (German Pioneer Co (Freiwillige Pionierkompanie) was busy in that area, but I can find little on there actions during there stay on Gallipoli.

image.png.3960d1ca94bd4c085207900195d1bb2a.png

(1894 at Aichach Bayern Augsburg DoA 12-5-61) suicide in Berlin - Bavarian Pionier-Bataillon 13 schwer verwundet (badly wounded) WIA 1914 in the Vosges to Turkey 7-15 and leicht verwundet (minor wound) WIA 11-15 grenade at Gallipoli RTG 1916 rtn to Mesopotania 1916 to Pioneer tactics instructor at the Turkish Officers Pioneer School in Cospoli 1917 (gave lectures at Maltepe Engineer Training School) RTG 1917 after contracting malaria and typhus return to staff later WWII Col staff officer 1939 to Gen-Maj CofS 17th Army 1940-43 to Gen-Lt 56th Div 1943 to 12th Corps Russia 1944 PoW with 4th Army around Minsk 1944 after war crossed over to politician in GDR Govt awarded Ottoman Order of the Medjidie 5th class with swords and Silver Liakat Medal with swords and War Medal shown in Klaus Wolf's Book 

19 hours ago, stevenbecker said:

Unless some of our Turkish friends can find some, there are no accounts, I can think of from the other side.

A Turkish lieutenant, Hasan Remzi Fertan, with the 1st Division, briefly mentions Müller and the German tunnelling detachment in his memoirs. He states that he was dug up and rescued by Müller when he found himself buried up to the neck after the explosion of a naval shell. See: Fertan, H. R. (2016). Hasan Remzi Fertan'ın Harp Hatıraları. L. Erdemir (ed.). p.55-56.

If you enter that name of that Pioneer Co you will find an account by Pioneer Adolf Horaczek 

On 18/06/2019 at 14:48, Leros24 said:

7 Lanc Fus reported on 19 Dec a British mine exploding near The Gridiron and the crater eventually being secured and named Boyd’s Crater.

See this thread for maps & photographs of this area