Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Marfaux Military Cemetery

John French

Does anyone have a high resolution colour phone of Marfaux that we could publish in a (non-profit) book we are preparing, provisionally entitled Chesterfords Heroes.  One of the men from our village Private Charles Searle, whose body was never found, is remembered there.  He served in the King's Own Yorkshire Light Infantry - is there any special monument dedicated to that regiment?

We will happily attribute any photos used.

John French

Chesterford Local History and Archaeology Society

• Admin

I will have to look on the laptop hard drive. I can't do it today  as I'm doing a weird split shift sort of day. I will have a look tomorrow, and let you know. 

Michelle 

• Admin

I have had a root about, these are taken on a variety of cameras over a number of years, the motorbike has remained the same though!

SAM_1368 - Copy.JPG

SAM_1372.JPG

SAM_1371.JPG

IMG_7636.JPG

IMG_7637.JPG

IMG_7640.JPG

IMG_7644.JPG

PTDC0430.JPG

PTDC0424.JPG

IMG_7639.JPG

SAM_1367.JPG

Michelle, thanks, I was spoiled for choice.  I plan to use the fourth one down, which is good enough to read the names on the gravestones.  I will attribute your photo as Michelle Young.

Regards

John

• Admin

Happy to help John, and there's a KOYLI headstone in the photo! 6th photo down  shows plot 8 row C but not grave 5, just out of shot, as I got the first 4 in. 

Michelle 

Here is a photo of Searles headstone. NB "believed to be" superscript ion. Sorry for brevity, tapping the message on my phone in the cemetery itself! (This is first of 2 images. Slow upload means I'll post second one later) 

David 

IMG_20190622_163257.jpg

Here's the other I promised... 

IMG_20190622_163247.jpg

David, I did not realise there was a headstone for Private Searle and with your permission I would like to use it, with attribution, in our (non-profit) book.