Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Black Watch medics.

vinniemac

Help required if possible.Got an American friend whose Scottish grandfather served from 1914-1918.According to the info he has,he was told that he served with the Black Watch as a medic.He is unaware of which Battalion,but was born in Uphall,West Lothian.

He has a photograph of his grandfather,Corporal John Ballantine Smith in medic uniform.

He has no army number,medals etc to help.

F9DCE7DD-539D-4CB9-AFB6-33EA5352A85A.png

John Smith.......well there's an unusual name, eh?  :huh:

You've written Ballantine and Ballentyne.....are you sure it's not Ballantyne? 

Checking Scotland's People, there was a John Ballantyne Smith with birth registered in Livingstone in 1893.

I note that he has been the subject of a number of posts on forums such as that of Ancestry etc. and that there is mention of his father (also called John Smith) having been killed in a mining accident.

Maybe his father is the 'John Smith' who is mentioned in the fatal accident enquiry pages here (in 1923) : -

https://www.scottishshale.co.uk/KnowledgePages/Accidents/AccidentFatalInquiries.html 

http://www.scottishshale.co.uk/GazMines/Breich1+2Mine.html

Someone has also included John Ballantyne Smith on a family tree on Ancestry.....

https://www.ancestry.co.uk/family-tree/person/tree/160834500/person/262102518151/facts?_phsrc=WUH50&_phstart=successSource 

By coincidence, some of my ancestors lived at Uphall as well, worked in the shale mines and were injured (with one killed in 1903). 

Edited by Ron Abbott

Is he not an RAMC man? In which case from one of the brigaded Field Ambulances that operated alongside Black Watch?

TEW

How sure are they that he served in the Black Watch throughout the war?

Do my eyes deceive me or doesn't the shoulder title read ASC? It certainly doesn't look like RH. He is a private in this photo.

There was a John B Smith who was T/35828, ASC and S/43740, Black Watch (MRIC, ancestry).

RM

T was a prefix for ASC horse transport men. So far I can't find the 1914-15 Star medal roll for T/35828.

RM

Thank you all very much for your help and information,will contact my friend in the US to see if this matches any other histories he may have.

Cheers

According to a tree on Ancestry John married Ethel McMurray, with no date given. Scotlandspeople has John B. Smith marrying Ethel McMurray in Mid Calder {only a few miles from Uphall} in 1917.  https://www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk/record-results?search_type=people&dl_cat=statutory&dl_rec=statutory-marriages&surname=smith&surname_so=exact&forename=john &forename_so=exact&spsurname=mcmurray&spsurname_so=exact&spforename_so=exact&rd_real_name[0]=MID CALDER&rd_display_name[0]=MID CALDER_MID CALDER&rdno[0]=MID CALDER&record_type=stat_marriages  The marriage certificat should give John's rank and Regiment, and possibly service number. This could confirm if the photograph is of him.

Regards,

Alf McM

I saw his shoulder titles as starting RA something. That plus the badge plus the 'medic' part of the story so far leads me to RAMC.

TEW

Continuing my notion there is MIC for a J B Smith. 9979 Royal Irish Regt, then 137080 RAMC. Rank given as Cpl. for both. RAMC Number is not territorials and Black Watch would have to be 1st division for 1/BW or if 2/BW Meerut then later 7th Indian Division (unlikely?)

So, I'd still go with 1st, 2nd or 3rd (142 FA later on) Field Ambulance. If they were brigaded then I'm suggesting 1st FA.

Any other records for 9979 / 137080 out there? I've checked WO Official Casualty Lists - nothing

TEW

On 17 October 1917, he was a private in the RAMC. Alas no serial number. (scotlandspeople). Gave his place of residence as "British Expeditionary Force, France".

RM

• 11 months later...

Many thanks for this info.Apologies for length of time taken to get back to you.