Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Rifle Brigade 6th Battalion

ChrisBrum

Hi

i was wondering if anybody could help me with some information regarding my Grandads service in the Rifle Brigade during WW1.

His medal card and Silver War Badge details show that he was in France and in the 6th 

spacer.png 

but my research suggests that the 6th battalion Rifle Brigade were not present in France? That’s my first question.

The other is how do I find out where he fought and what the nature of his wounds were? It appears that he only served for just over a year before discharge in 1916. He lived until 1930 and fathered 4 sons and a daughter.

Thanks

A name and service number from the list you have posted 

would assist the forum pals with your query

and welcome to the forum

regards Ray

Hi Chris,

Which entry is your Grandfathers?

The 6th was a Reserve Battalion which was based on the Isle of Sheppey throughout the war. Wounded/ill soldiers when shipped home to the UK used to go to the 5th or 6th.

Andy

Is it Willis or Cotterill-as those two are the 6th Batt members listed

George

Guys, thanks for the welcome to the forum, have made a mental note not to post when half asleep!

My Grandad was Ernest Cotterill, service number S/9269. Here is his medal card.

spacer.png

Another question struck me ( to go with the other two). The badge form clearly says that it was filled out in 1918, yet states Grandads discharge as 1916? Does that mean he had to wait 2 years after his discharge to get his badge or does it mean he was discharged from active service and put into the wounded battalion until the end of the war?

Again any help at all would be welcome. 

Thanks

There may be further information with his Pension record. It's on Ancestry/Fold3 but I do not have access...

Name: Ernest Cotterill
Birth Date: 1889
Residence Place: Bham
Military Service Region: Midlands, England
Discharge Date: 15 Apr 1918
Service Number: S/9269
Regiment: Rfle Bde
Title: Pension Record Cards
Description: Pension Record Ledger
Reference Number:

6/MC/No.3486

https://search.ancestry.com/cgi-bin/sse.dll?indiv=1&dbid=61588&h=379204&tid=&pid=&usePUB=true&_phsrc=Yiy20445&_phstart=successSource

George

Then he was in the 10th Rifle Brigade

Something very wrong with his Silver War Badge Roll. Come across many inaccuracies in these rolls before, especially with enlistment and discharge date, must admit to taking these SWB rolls now with a pinch of salt due to the many inaccuracies. Battalion casualty lists have him down as wounded 18/9/16, some 4 months after his supposed discharge date, where the battalion were in trenches N. E. of Guinchy suffering heavily from shell fire. During the night they sent out a covering party for Royal Engineers digging a new trench.

Andy

CIMG9847.JPG

Edited by stiletto_33853

His pension record records 

that he was discharged with the disability

(inflammation of middle ear Both)  aggravated by service)

Ray

Thanks for the great feedback it really is appreciated.

Inflammation of both middle ears? Does this mean he was deaf as it strikes me as quite a tame thing to be discharged for (he said from his comfy peaceful home). Clearly not meaning to be demeaning as I’m rather glad that he survived.

How did we ascertain that he was in the 10th battalion and is there a chance that he was reassigned to the 6th due to his injuries or just sent straight home?

Always nice to personalise these things so here is the only picture I have off him and I only saw this recently. Bit spooky as it’s like a mirror image of my son.

9EDD89F2-9185-443E-A0A2-426B49CDAB45.jpeg

30 minutes ago, ChrisBrum said:

How did we ascertain that he was in the 10th battalion

Listed as 10th Bn on the medal roll on Ancestry Here

He would have been assigned to the 5th or 6th Rifle Brigade when returning home after injury or illness. Then brought up to speed again ready to be shipped back overseas. Not so in this case as he was discharged but I do not think on the date given on his Silver War Badge Roll due to his injury in September 1916, some 5 months after he was supposed to have been discharged.

Andy

Edited by stiletto_33853

His 1914-15 Star roll seems to think 15/4/18 as discharge date, which kind of tie's in with him receiving his SWB in 1918, and being wounded after his given discharge date in the SWB Roll.

Andy

Page B.751.JPG

Edited by stiletto_33853

I agree with Andy 

The  Silver war badge date of 16/04/1916 is a clerical error it should read 16/04/ 1918

The pension record shows he was discharged 15/04/1918 pension commenced 16/04/1918

confirmed by the medal roll  posted by Andy above with the date 15/04/18

Ray

4 hours ago, Bardess said:

Possible balance issues?

I use to suffer from the same disability, after drinking copious amounts of the amber necter

Edited by RaySearching

Guys all the thanks in the world for this stuff and it makes logical sense that the correct discharge date was 15/04/18. If you look closely at the silver badge roll it is stamped at the bottom for 25 Apr 1918 which further proves the theory out I’d say.

Which begs another question (I know I’m pushing my luck lol). If the wounding happened 18/09/16 then what was he doing in the time between the wounding and the discharge? Does that explain the 6th btn entry on the silver badge roll perhaps?

Chris,

On his wounding the 10th would want him off their books. Unknown if he spent anytime in a hospital in France, but when he returned to the UK he would have been placed on the 5th or 6th books. Once again unknown if and for how long he was in a hospital in the UK then maybe a convalescence home. When healed he would have gone to the 6th on the Isle of Sheppey to go through fitness training and updates on present Western Front methods before being shipped back overseas to whatever battalion needed re-inforcements.

It seems likely that whilst with the 6th his middle ear problems (aggravated through service) flared up and he was designated for discharge. No timelines for how long he took recovering from his wound, convalescence, time actually physically with the 6th (if any) etc without a service record. Sorry but without the benefit of a record timelines are going to be impossible.

Andy

Know the feeling Ray, but hate the next morning.

Edited by stiletto_33853

Chris

You may gain an insight into the battalions actions, prior to  and up to the date your grandfather 

was wounded in action, by reading the war diary which can be found on Ancestry Here

The battalion were certainly in the thick of it 

Ray

15 hours ago, RaySearching said:

Chris

You may gain an insight into the battalions actions, prior to  and up to the date your grandfather 

was wounded in action, by reading the war diary which can be found on Ancestry Here

The battalion were certainly in the thick of it 

Ray

Cheers Ray looking at those papers it seems certain that Ernest was involved in the battle of Guillemont possibly sustaining his wounds at the later battle of  Flers-Courcelette which the brigade were in at the time he was wounded.

The details in those notes is inspiring me to take a trip and see for myself

Chris,

The position of his battalion at the time of his wounding, taken from the Brigade diary.

Andy

43112_2118_0-00396.jpg

Andy that’s awesome. Brilliant that this stuff is still out there. So in your opinion would you concur that on the 18th, the day of his wounding,  that he was in the battle of Flers-Courcelette?

Not really, well the finishing touches the 14th Division had taken most of the area on the 15th,  and had been badly mauled by the Guards not making their objective where it enabled the Germans to turn machine guns into the 14th Div. flanks. The KSLI and KRRC positions are where the 14th Div. made a flank guard after the Guards failed to take their objectives. The Guards Division at Lesboeufs had taken a mauling and on the 16th the 20th Division relieved the Guards who then relieved the 20th Div. again on night of 19th/20th.

20th Div. Operational Order 105 of 16/9/16 states that all ground taken on the previous days assault will be consolidated, hence they seem to have been more of a holding & consolidation Div. but told to improve the position if possible.

The 59th Brigade were ordered to make an attack to take a small pocket so that the next phase of the attack would be ready. This attacked turned out to be a bit of a disaster with the Regimental History calling it a fiasco with the promised co-operation from the 62nd Brigade of the 21st Division in bombing down Grid Trench coming to nothing.

Andy 

43849_2095_0-00840.jpg

Edited by stiletto_33853

Andy that’s unbelievable information but leaves me none the wiser. Narrows it down so much though, far more precise than I ever knew. Unsure as to what kind of wound would damage someone’s ears that badly that they ended up being discharged. Shellburst overhead maybe? 

Somehow the family story was that Ernest was a sniper and had some kind of black uniform. I always had my doubts and it doesn’t seem like this brigade contained anything more than frontline infantrymen.