Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Shoulder Badge

Pesche

Sorry Pesche, the RFC/RFA isn’t something I know much about, although generally I would have thought support services etc.

Pesche, could be worth posting the full photo.

Derek

Women occasionally had themselves photographed in their brother's or husband's uniform; I think they weren't entitled to wear RFC on their own account, but not certain.

This may be of interest: https://www.rafmuseum.org.uk/research/online-exhibitions/women-of-the-air-force/womens-royal-air-force-wraf-1918-1920.aspx

Many tanks derekb & seaJane!

Knowing that my grandmother served in the Royal Flying Corps, I have found her Certificate of Discharge on Demobilization.

She enrolled in August 1918 in Coventry (our home city), and was demobilized in July 1919 at Blanford Camp.

Her rank was "Member", and she worked as a "General Clerk".

Greetings from Sherwood

Strange that the shoulder title should read Royal Flying Corps.  If she had enlisted  in August 1918 the title had been changed

to Royal Air Force since 1st of April of that year.

Old Robin Hood

That's what I was thinking, to be honest, and why I suggested she wasn't wearing her own uniform but a relative's or boyfriend's.

Hmmm - food for thought. I take on board seaJane's comments. The Demob Cert is from the Women's Royal Air Force, Blandford Camp

Edited by Pesche
posted before finished writing

Perhaps she was previously a member of the Women's Army Auxiliary Corps.  Those women working with the RFC had the privilege of wearing the RFC shoulder badges.  Those working with the ASC wore the Cap badge and buttons of the ASC.   She might well have been one of those who transferred into the RAF on its formation. She could be wearing her old WAAC overcoat. 

Thank you, royalredcross. That actually sounds very likely, as I was wondering why she only joined in August 1918, when she was 23.

Although there's a smudge over her age on the Certificate, I 'm guessing that her age there (in 1919) reads as 19.

However, she always pretended to be younger than she was, possibly to apppear to be 1 year younger than my grandfather, whom she married in 1920, rather than 4 years older...

She was Irish, and I was wondering whether there was a large Irish contingent in the WAAC or RFC?

Not sure about an Irish contingent, but Ireland was then part of the UK.  Could you post a photo which shows more of her - she seems to be wearing a tie which was not WAAC uniform apart from officials, but could be WRAF. 

5 hours ago, Pesche said:

Here it is:

Nora (2).jpg

A nice transitional period photo of WAAC to WRAF with RFC titles and early RAF cap badge. A bonny lass as well.   Pete.

I stand corrected (but very pleased). That's most interesting!

• 2 months later...
On 18/06/2019 at 00:40, seaJane said:

I stand corrected (but very pleased). That's most interesting!

Don't stand corrected. I am still of the opinion that the coat is not hers. The Royal Air Force was a men-only unit.

Does anyone recognise the tie pin? It may not shed any light on the original question, but I can not make head nor tail of it.

18 minutes ago, Ex-boy said:

Does anyone recognise the tie pin? It may not shed any light on the original question, but I can not make head nor tail of it.

The top part I am not certain, but the bottom part appears to be a representation of the Royal Warwickshire Regiment cap badge, possibly with the extra scroll of one of the Birmingham Battalions, eg:

Related image

Edited by Andrew Upton

Agreed that the hat badge is an early WRAF one, but what on earth is the hat  ??  Looks like her father's trilby. 

Norman 

• 2 weeks later...
On 23/08/2019 at 09:41, Jim Strawbridge said:

Don't stand corrected. I am still of the opinion that the coat is not hers. The Royal Air Force was a men-only unit.

Womens Royal Air Force. The clue is in the title.   Pete.

2 hours ago, CorporalPunishment said:

Womens Royal Air Force. The clue is in the title.   Pete.

The shoulder badge in the photograph is Royal Air Force.

6 hours ago, Jim Strawbridge said:

The shoulder badge in the photograph is Royal Air Force.

The shoulder badge in the photograph is Royal Flying Corps. There is no doubt in my mind that she had been WAAC attached to RFC and by the time the photo was taken was in the newly-formed WRAF.  The cap badge is the early pattern one which was similar to the badge of the former RNAS.   Pete.