Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

War Diaries 1/ and 2/ Leicestershire Regiment

AlanCrax

I'm looking to trace the movements of Francis Omar Tilley: Service Number 9425 who died of wounds December 17th 1917 in the German counter offensive after the Battle of Cambrai. His WWI Service Medal and Awards Roll list him in the 1st Battalion. He was awarded a Military Medal and promoted to Acting Sergeant and then transferred to the 2nd Battalion. Would there be a Leicestershire Regiment War Diary which covers this or would it be a matter of tracking down War Diaries of both Battalions? If so, where would I find them

Many thanks

Alan

1st Bat War Diary on Ancestry - click

The 2nd Bat appear to have been in Egypt

Soldiers Effects says 1st Bat, and died of wounds 14th Dec 1917

Thank you all, that will do nicely

Alan

That is a fascinating article that Edward1 found. If you follow the various links on that site you get to

http://www.cottinghamhistory.co.uk/documents/omar tilley.doc

The writer has visited Tilley's grave, but has not unearthed the day Tilley was actually wounded

A medical record on FmP shows him admitted to 31 Ambulance Train Hospital on 10 Dec 1917 with multiple GSW

His medal card has him attached to 16th Light Trench Mortar Battery so although his records would still show him as 1st Battalion, he may well have been serving with the TMB in Dec 1917.  There appear to be gaps in 16 Bde TMB diaries though, the last I find is up to August 1916. WO 95/1611/4.

Max