Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Private Arthur H Newell Notts & Derby Regt

OLD ROBIN HOOD

Greetings from the Royal Forest of Sherwood where it is raining.

My latest research project is an interesting one. Private  Arthur H Newell  30944 Notts & Derby Regt and 70004 Royal Scots.

( A real Notts and Jocks ) . I have only his Victory Medal . All the information that I have is his M.I.C. and medal roll.

The regiment on the medal is the Notts & Derbys. so that will be who he landed with. However according to the medal roll

his Battalion was the 14th N & D who were a reserve battalion at home. I have never come across this before ,so if any

of you good folk can an give any information about him I will be most grateful.

Old ( and very damp ) Robin Hood

• Admin

Quite often men were posted overseas in a group from a reserve Battalion.  At the IBD they could be posted either in a group or in smaller numbers where they most needed.  So the last entry on the record might be 14th Bn then posted to BEF It is entirely possible they thought they were going to an active service Battalion of the  Notts and Derby but were posted to the Royal Scots.  They could not be ‘orphans’.  Near number sampling may provide the definitive answer

Ken

Greeting Ken

Yes , that makes sense. As I said I have never come across this in connection with a Notts & Derby man.

Many thanks

Robin