Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

MM+ Bar

andrew pugh

Good Evening. Does anyone have proof of Cpl 10892 Thomas Houston ever receiving a bar to his MM,for instance an entry in the Gazzette or any other records. I managed to identify this man about 5 years ago, and on a recent visit I noticed that the bar has not been entered on the headstone. I mentioned this to the C W G C and they say they have no evidence of this happening.Many years ago when I first started to research this man some kind person helped me by supplying a copy of the entry in the Gazzette, it was included in my initial evidence at the time that I sent to the C W G C but obviously they have mislaid it, and I don't have a copy. I need to get this rectified. Hope someone can help.

Kind Regards

Andy 

Hi Andy

Here you go 10892 Cpl. T. Houston, High. L.I. 

(The awards of the Military Medal abovementioned were published in the London Gazette dated 14th September, 1916.)
https://www.thegazette.co.uk/London/issue/29953/supplement/1758

previous page 1757 says - The undermentioned have been awarded a Bar to their Military Medal: — 

rgds

Jon

Edited by jonbem

Hi Jon

You are a Diamond, Thank you for that information. I will now get back to the C W G C and get his headstone amended. Once again thank you.

Kind Regards

Andy

• 2 weeks later...

Hi John

I found the page 1758 in the London Gazette showing Cpl 10892 T Houstons award of the MM, but I cannot see anything on the previous page showing the undermentioned have been awarded a bar to their Military Medal (regarding his bar to the MM award).

Could you clarify. I look forward to your reply.

Kind Regards

Andy  

Hi

SUPPLEMENT TO THE LONDON GAZETTE, 19 FEBRUARY, 1917

Page 1757 https://www.thegazette.co.uk/London/issue/29953/supplement/1757

says bottom part of right hand column

SOUTH AFRICAN CONTINGENT. S.2 L./C. S. D. Evans, S.A. Sharpshooters, attd. North'n R. The undermentioned have been awarded a Bar to their Military Medal: — 80015 Pte. W. B. Curtis, Can. Inf. Bn. L/33496 Bombr. G. R. lies, R.F.A. L/7854 Pte. F. Page, Midd'x R= (The awards of the Military Medal abovementioned were published in the London Gazette dated 23rd August, 1916.-)

and continues on page 1758.... 

https://www.thegazette.co.uk/London/issue/29953/supplement/1758

26365 Actg. Bombr. J. A. Davidson, R.F.A. 11464 Pte. A. Farquhar, High. L.I. 9188 Sjt. R. G. Higginson, L'pool R. 10892 Cpl. T. Houston, High. L.I. 198115 Sapper F. Pooock, R.E. 9634 Cpl. F. Potter, R.F.A. 17192 Sjt. C. F. Russell, M.G. Corps. (The awards of the Military Medal above mentioned were published in the London Gazette dated 14th September, 1916.) 6625 Pte. H. Aungier, R. Suss. R. 9606 Sjt. R. A. Foster, Bedf. R. 427024 Pte. A. Maquard, Can. Inf. Bn. (The awards of the Military Medal above mentioned were published in the London Gazette dated 21st September, 1916.) 8441 Sjt. J'. B. French, Can. Inf. Bn. 6154 Actg. Sjt. A. Hemm, R. Sc. Fus. 10204 Cpl. G. Jacob, K.R. Rif. C. (The awards of the Military Medal above mentioned were published in the London Gazette dated llth October, 1916.) 16173 Pte. (L./C.) G. H. Bullock, S. Staff. R. E/283 Actg. Sjt. C. T. Davis, R. Fus. 9382 Sjt. F. Jones, R. Berks. R. 52903 Cpl. G..F. Randall, R.F.A. (The awards of the Military Medal above mentioned were published in the London

regards

Jon