Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Bayonet unit marking. Can anyone identify this one?

Royal Scots Fusiliers? 

I was told mine was Royal Scots Fusiliers.  Interested if thats not true.  Sadly, my quillion was removed.

20190614_194809.jpg

I had (I have it no longer so can't post a pic) a glengarry with a Royal Scots Fusiliers badge on it beautifully marked RSF in white ink inside. I don't think there's much room for doubt that this is what your bayonet is.

• 3 weeks later...

Welcome to the GWForum!

Looks to be a nice set there - but the marking?

On 14/06/2019 at 18:58, Bushmush said:

612A2E4F-2B3D-489C-B5C5-C79A73837DF3.jpeg

Needs a clearer picture to be certain of the last letter. All I can think of at the moment is that an armourer in the Royal Scots Fusliers took umbrage at the lack of  an 'R' there and added one! Or was it added after? The lack of centering allows for that possibility

I would however still be inclined to say Royal Scots Fusiliers. there are no other similar markings to Regiments or Corps.1358678214_Screenshot2019-07-13at14_03_35.png.20bb68a4c2fc7426a1f689665167c874.png

I can well imagine an armourer marking bayonets S.F., then an officer inspecting a sample of his work ordering him to mark them R.S.F.

"But Sir, the book says...." would have been a brave and very short sentence - much shorter than the one subsequently handed down by the Company Commander for " conduct to the prejudice of military discipline" …

Cheers

RT

Well here is.my 2 cents.

First nice.find . Second if you give these guys a chance to ID it they will. This is by far the.most supportive site on the web.

Boomstick 

• 3 months later...

The marking on the pommel of 'RSF' = Royal Scots Fusiliers.