Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Pte.David Mcewan S/3576 8th Seaforth highlanders

Stevend

Iam researching this soldier who was killed on the 25th September 1915 I was wanting to ask how many of his battalion  were killed on the same day

He comes from my local town and help is very much appreciated 

You can search the CWGC site with date and Regiment but not Battalion . 413 Seaforths for the date. You would have to check each for the battalion. there are a number of the 8th

I'm afraid I don't know either; Edward1's suggestion seems a good one though. If you have access to Ancestry, the battalion War Diary and a report of the events of that day are Here - it runs to many pages, and may (or may not) contain a record of casualties as they were estimated at the time. In reality, the true number of fatalities would probably only be known at a later date, when e.g. missing men were accounted for, the number of those who died of wounds later was known, etc.

On this note, I see that David McEwan's date of death is given in his (Ancestry again) Soldiers' Effects record as 26th September, which might possibly be a clerical error: it definitely says he was killed in action (rather than died of wounds). There are other 8th Seaforth men with that date of death on the page, too, though, and I presume this reflects continued fighting in and around the village taken on the 25th by the 44th Brigade. The War Diary would presumably help clarify things.

Cheers, Pat

(not sure I've really helped, sorry...)

4 hours ago, EDWARD1 said:

You can search the CWGC site with date and Regiment but not Battalion . 413 Seaforths for the date. You would have to check each for the battalion. there are a number of the 8th

By using 8th Bn in the "unit" search box you get 260 deaths on 25 September 1915.

Extend the time frame to 29 September adds another 20 men.

Ken

The date of 26th Sept in the effects records may well be paperwork related rather than a clerical error - it's relatively common for death reported later in a day to be on the paperwork dated for the next day.

Craig

Aha - makes sense, thanks Craig.

Pat

Stevend A little bit off topic,. If he is the same man Born New Monkland Resided Airdrie he is one of 61 Seaforth Highlanders  KIA and 2 DOW from the Lanarkshire area on 25th/26th. September.. And a total of  66 KIA from Airdrie alone .(All Regiments)  Cheers Rob. 

Edited by Rob Bulloch
more information.

Many thanks  to all for your help.

Rob he is the same soldier from Airdrie  so many thanks for the extra  information 

Regards

Steven 

Steven

I read all the relevant WDs when I researched the events on and around Hill 70 on 25 and 26/09/1915. Pat is quite right, the WD of 44 Infantry Brigade names the Officer casualties of 8 Seaforths and the other Bns in the Brigade and gives the total casualties for the Bn as 740 Killed, wounded and missing. This is amended on the last page of the WD and for 8 Seaforths reads k 44 w 362 and m 294. This is for 25th and 26th. There are some good reports from all the Bns of the action including one from 8 Seaforths Adjutant Capt Stang.

Brian

Brian