Great War Forum

Remembered Today:

pompeyrodney

Training trenches experts required.

pompeyrodney

Hi people

I am involved in a archaeological dig at the site of an army camp at Penally in South Wales. The Dyfed Archaeological Trust are carrying out the excavations with the help of volunteers such as myself. We are turning up some finds which are mainly cartridge cases and a few bullets. The construction of the trench I am in seems to use 6 inch corrugated sheets, with some wooden posts inserted at the corners. So far the archaeological team are unsure what we are looking at and if there are any trench experts on here I would much appreciate any help you can offer me. I will post some photos that show what we are looking at presently. If anyone can offer any information on the training during WW1 at Penally that would be really helpful. Many thanks.

IMG_20190612_160956.jpg

clive_hughes

Hi pompeyrodney,

The Clwyd-Powys Archaeological Trust have researched and dug practice trenches at Bodelwyddan (as part of the Kinmel Park Camp complex, Abergele).  Their report on the dig is available as document CPAT 1303 (Archaeological Excavations 2014).  Perhaps this might help?   

Clive

TEW

Not claiming to be an expert. Do you mean the corrugated sheets are 6" wide which would make the feature on left 6" deep? To me the same feature is not down to natural yet, bit dirty at camera end. Bits of barbed wire in right hand section? A wire stake further back? Any details for cartridges & bullets and do they come from the feature or the trench as a whole? Dates & calibre?

Better wheelbarrow needed?

TEW