Great War Forum

Remembered Today:

chaz

Wallington H A V, Mead F and SOTGW.

chaz

on what started as a damp day and ended in a downpour it was a great morning.

A funeral service for Pte Henry Albert Victor Wallington, Pte Frank Mead and an unknown soldier of the 23rdBtn London Regt. Killed in action 3 Dec 1917 , Discovered February 2016 and given a full ceremonial burial today 12th June 2019.

https://home.bt.com/news/uk-news/young-soldiers-killed-in-first-world-war-buried-in-france-more-than-100-years-on-11364369269660

a good turn out from Brits and French together. Nicky Campbell and Davinia McCall were also there so look forward to Long lost family on tv.

DSC_0595.JPG

dickaren

Thanks for showing. Great work by JCCC. I look forward to watching the programme on them.

Richard

Moonraker

For me, Chaz's BT.COM link was reluctant to load, but there are plenty of other websites mentioning the event, including

BBC News

Moonraker

Pat Atkins

Good work done there, thanks for sharing Chaz. RIP those 23rd Londons men.

Pat

ChrisMead

We were also invited to attend.  I cannot believe how much trouble everyone (JCCC / CWGC / PWRR and Wall to Wall Productions) went to to make the day run smoothly.  It was great to finally see where my great uncle fell and some of the story behind it.

I suspect that we met the OP - chaz - hopefully we did.  Thank you for coming.  The amount of local folk there was amazing.

IMG_2041.jpg.e4d5bcda17ccf1b6b5686d3508fd6a4f.jpg

Edited by ChrisMead
Added a bit

Cheshire22

Hi Chris 

please can you post more details, of how the process of when the CWGC / JCCC contacted you in the first place to the final.  

Not many any of us, will experience something like that.  

I have a couple of cases with the CWGC at the moment, where I think I may have identified a couple of unknown soldiers 

it really would help to understand, from the next of kin position, in to this matter at hand

jamie 

chaz

Hi Chris, didnt hang around too long as the rain appeared and also Stormm our dog had been sat in the car while everything was being set up until the end. we have been to many cemeteries and graves over the past 4 years , Ive got atleast 5 relations in France and Germany, this was the first ceremony we have attended and it was very moving. 

would also like to know how the process went, all mine were battlefield or wounded casualties but a lot of interest in new findings.

glad they have been identified and given propper recognition,

a question, how long have you known about Frank? a long time or recent searches for family tree?

reason for asking is, I lived in a village previously inhabited by earlier family, always walked past the memorial cross and only last year found that Archibald lived in the house next door over 100 years before!!

ChrisMead

Jamie,

To the best of my knowledge, this is how is played out.  Franks remains were found in a garden in Feb 2016 and the gendarmerie were contacted.  According to the IntSum, 1/23rd were pulling back from Bourlon Wood along a sunken road and it turns out that Frank and two others were buried swiftly during a lull.  

My cousin Paul was contacted, I believe by JCCC and they requested a DNA sample as they had found a shoulder badge from 1/23rd and Frank was a possible match.  Paul has been a little scant with details, but I understand Wall to Wall contacted him to film his and other family members reactions to the results of the DNA results 6 months or so ago.   I am a little unclear how / why they traced him rather than me - I had an Ancestry account many years ago tracing our family tree with Frank in it but Paul thinks that they may have traced him directly through a previous DNA match.

Paul 'forgot' to mention all this to me until the details had been finalized a few weeks ago so we have been in a spin since then.  Would not have missed it for the world and the details are still sinking in of events.

I guess the short answer to your question must be - JCCC followed a lead - it certainly was not initiated by either Paul or myself.  Paul had never heard of Frank prior to their contact.

ChrisMead
7 minutes ago, chaz said:

a question, how long have you known about Frank? a long time or recent searches for family tree?

Chaz.

I had always known of Frank through my father.  He had photographs of both my grandfather and Frank together and of Frank in uniform, and a number of letters.  One particular letter my father had always cherished - as I do now - written by my grandfather to Frank that was returned marked simply 'Killed'.  They didn't pull punches then.  

When my father passed and all his documents came to me, I had started a family tree and achieved a better understanding of my roots.  It certainly hasn't been a major focus recently but I had been excited to find something out about my great grandfather the week prior to Paul mentioning all of this.  Strange how coincidences work!

Sorry to have missed you on the day.  It certainly was an event I will never forget.  We were able to spend some time with the SNCOs of PWRR and I was moved just how much they cared about being there - and were the other local villagers and French veterans. 

Pat Atkins

Thanks for posting this, Chris, very interesting. My father's uncle was KIA with 23rd Londons at Givenchy, 26 May 1915; like so many, he has no known grave. Very good indeed to see these men buried like this.

Cheers, Pat

chaz

Thanks Chris, very interesting and great outcome 

ChrisMead
4 hours ago, Pat Atkins said:

Thanks for posting this, Chris, very interesting. My father's uncle was KIA with 23rd Londons at Givenchy, 26 May 1915; like so many, he has no known grave. Very good indeed to see these men buried like this.

Cheers, Pat

Pat - I hope that JCCC and CWGC continue to have the funding to continue with their efforts and that they get the publicity they need with the TV program from this.  Further, I hope that your relative is found and properly rested in the future.  

2 hours ago, chaz said:

Thanks Chris, very interesting and great outcome 

Everyone has been so lovely with this.  My family has been in a real spin since we heard and it has been a huge week in my life.  I am reassured that people are still very interested.

westkent78

Thanks for posting the photos Chaz.

And great to get your insights Chris. Thanks for sharing.

Matthew