Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Private Arthur Whitehead, 6/Ox and Bucks LI, 32966

Ralph J. Whitehead

Can anyone check a citation in Find My Past? I am trying to find out as much as possible about a great Uncle, Arthur Whitehead, originally in the 11th Royal Warwickshire Regiment, No. 19718, later in the 6th Ox and Bucks, No. 32966. He was killed in Flanders on 22 August 1917. I am happy to exchange resources as I am a member of Ancestry worldwide. Any help in checking a reference to being in No. 39 Casualty Clearing Station in 1916 would be appreciated.

Ralph

He was admitted to 39 CCS on 22/12/16 with suspected dysentery and transferred to 2 Ambulance train on the 26/12/16.

Thank you very much for this information, it adds another piece to the larger puzzle. If I can ever help you please let me know, thanks.

Hello Ralph

His only information on Find My Past is Medal Index Card entry, Soldiers Died in the Great War entry, CWGC entry and the Casualty List from 26 December 1916.

His SDITGW and CWGC entries state that he was with the 2/4th Ox and Bucks when he was killed.

John 

Thanks John, I will have to keep looking to see what I can find out as to the exact unit, all I have found so far relates to the 11th Royal Warwickshire Regiment and then the 6/Ox and Bucks. I wonder if I can find his records some day that will show his movements from one to the other.

You may have this already but just in case.

The war diary for 2/4th Ox and Bucks https://www.ancestry.co.uk/interactive/60779/43112_3067_1-00000?backurl=&ssrc=&backlabel=Return#?imageId=43112_3067_1-00207 (link is to August 1917) has the op order and a detailed description of the attack with a sketch of the dispositions on 22 August. The attack was towards the Winnipeg to Kansas Cross road, in squares D 7 and D13**  on the trench map/image at https://maps.nls.uk/geo/explore/side-by-side/#zoom=15&lat=50.8907&lon=2.9685&layers=101464912&right=BingHyb  The brigade diary has more detail https://www.ancestry.co.uk/interactive/60779/43112_3067_1-00000?backurl=&ssrc=&backlabel=Return#?imageId=43849_3063_0-00718

As he was with 6 Ox and Bucks when he was hospitalised in Dec 1916, he must have joined 2/4th in the first half of 1917.  You might like to trawl the war diary for references to reinforcements to that battalion - not definitive but indicative at least!.  His records are, almost certainly, in among those lost in WW2.

Max

** The battalion account sometimes has the squares as C 7 and C 13 and hasn't always corrected the error.  The maps are clear as to the location.

Hi Ralph,

It looks like Arthur may have been one of a number of men that were sent from the 4/Warwicks, who were posted to the 11/Warwicks once they had arrived at 29 IBD (Rouen), and were then transferred to the OBLI on 28.9.1916.

Renumbered to 32962 (OBLI) Trowan 

image.png.db21a521c0f1d7278ab8d3f0b10d0a87.png

Image sourced from Findmypast

Renumbered to 32967 (OBLI) Yapp

image.png.ea5908c9ab17c73a368a9d7e1e80e128.png

The amount of War Gratuity shown as paid in his Soldiers' Effects record indicates that Arthur had service counting from circa June 1916. Looking at his 19718 Warwicks number, there are some papers for a 19717 Stagg which show...

image.png.be041b4127ccce4dead51c6bccd2ddcf.png

Regards

Chris

He appears in the County of Warwickshire Roll of Honour 1914-2005 Vol 1 South Warwickshire by Kenneth Fowler.

He is on the Bourton on Dunsmore and Draycott War Memorial

The entry states "Killed in Action during local operations around St. Julien". The war diary suggest the same area. Died aged 35 "Son of Edward a shoemaker and Mary Elizabeth Whitehead of Bourton, Rugby. He was born, resdided and enlisted in Rugby. Before the war he was employed as a bricklayer"

The source for the information is not quoted

Hello Ralph

Just found this on The Long Long Trail - Did you know you can download a complete copy of the history of the 2/4th Battalion?
Free of charge, care of Gutenberg: The story of the 2/4th Oxfordshire & Buckinghamshire Light Infantry 

It works, have just had a flick through.

John

Edited by John Milner

I cannot convey my amazement and gratitude for the wealth of information regarding Arthur. Thank you all for your efforts and expertise. I am quite comfortable researching German losses but am quite an amateur when it comes to the British side. This is Arthur, the only photo I know in existence. I am sure there are others but I have not found them yet.

I have located the German regimental accounts for at least two of the regiments that faced the 2/4 and I hope that at least one might contain some further details. Thank you again for everything.

Arthur Whitehead

Ralph

Hi,

Arthur left a will - £10 from here. It may well consist of only a very few words (along the lines of 'I leave everything to my wife' - as indicated by his wife being named as his sole legatee in his Soldiers' Effects record, see previous Ancestry link), and add nothing to what you already know. It would arrive as a low resolution, black and white scan of the original, attached to an email.

Regards

Chris

Hi,

I should have said earlier but as the 2/4 OBLI were part of 61 Division, the HQ diary will probably add context to the Battalion and Brigade diaries linked by Max in post #6. On Ancestry (UK) August 1917 starts here. If there are any map references shown, and you were to need any help, it would be worth looking at the LLT here.

Regards

Chris

Edit:

Ancestry seems to be playing up at the moment

Edited by clk

• 1 year later...

I have been continuing my search for any details on Arthur Whitehead. I believe that I may have found an entry in the Weekly Casualty List (War Office & Air Ministry), on 9 October 1917, page 28. 

I was wondering if anyone who has access to these records could check and copy the page or details for me? The entry appears to be under Whitehead, 329WA (Bourton, Rugby). Any help is greatly appreciated and if I can be of some assistance in obtaining records through sites such as Ancestry (Worldwide) please feel free to ask, thanks.

Ralph

54 minutes ago, RussT said:

Do you mean this page, which is free to download yourself from the NLS:

https://digital.nls.uk/british-military-lists/archive/194143212

Regards

Russ

Yes, that is the page. Thank you for the site, I did not know you could get this so easily. Thank you again.

Ralph

Hi Ralph,

If you weren't already aware, it's worth bearing in mind that the date of the published list usually post dated the actual event by several weeks - as a very broad brush 'rule of thumb', it's not uncommon to see something like a month/6 week delay.

Regards

Chris

Thanks Chris, he was killed on 22 August 1917 near Pond Farm in Flanders with the 2/4 Ox & Bucks. Like the German casualty reports, there were weeks or months between the actual loss and the publication. I have wondered just what happened to him that day but so far no luck. I have tried to locate a family member who might have a photo or other details but no luck so far. 

Ralph

Having just posted above I decided to take a better look at the actual casualty list. I had not noticed that the section he was listed in was for men shown as missing in action. It is very possible that no one really knew what happened to him and then later he was reported as KIA. 

Ralph