Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Thiepval Wood

Conor Dodd

Today a friend told me that he saw that Theipval Wood was mentioned as being for sale on BBC1 NI and that a Northern Ireland WW1 heritage group was going to buy it ? Does anyone have any more information ?

Conor :D

Yes Conor this is true :)

The Somme Heritage Centre in Newtownards, just outside Belfast are going to buy the woods.

Of course you all know that this is the site that the Ulster Tower, (which is modeled on Helens Tower which is located just behind the Somme Heritage Centre) is located and that Thiepval Woods are where the 36th (Ulster) Division attacked from on July 1st 1916.

I will be finding out more as our association, the South Belfast Friends of the Somme Association are affliated with the Somme Association Ltd (Somme Hertiage Centre)

Is it the wood itself that is going to be bought (the farmers field opposite the Ulster Tower and beyond) or is it the site of the redoubt ?

Conor :D

It is the wood itself. A wood is no use to the French (they cant farm it), so they may as well try to make some money out of it!

I think they may be buying some of the Redoubt aswell? As you know the Ulster Tower is built on the German front line and a lot of land around it already belongs to the Somme Association. Check out the Somme Hertiage Centre website at www.irishsoldier.org

You can make a donation for the tower..............

The Memorial Tower is dedicated not only to the men of the 36th (Ulster) Division, but also to their comrades in arms who served in the Royal Navy, the 10th and 16th (Irish) Division, the Royal Flying Corps, and the Royal Air Force. It costs a great deal of money to run, which the Somme Association, as a charity, is hard pressed to find.

The Appeal fund, therefore, was started in 1998, with three aims:

* To provide the day to day running costs of the Tower and Visitors' centre.

* To set up and run an educational programme, and the recruitment of students from Ulster to act as guides during the summer.

* To develop the Memorial itself, possibly by opening part of the Schwaben Redoubt, to the rear of the Tower.

You can help us by making a donation, large or small, towards the achievement of these three aims so that the sacrifice of so many, of all creeds and classes, may always be appreciated and never forgotten.

I presume this is the wood formally called Authuille Wood. I wonder what plans are being considered to make it accessible whilst preserving the remnants of trench lines etc.

Billy - the French love "la chasse" - hunting - and they do a lot of it in their woods, so well done to all concerned in getting this sale moving on.

How about the Welsh buying Mametz Wood and someone making an offer for High Wood ?

Excellent news, one day we may be able to walk through the woods then and take a look around. The 96th Bde of the 32nd Division also attacked from Thiepval wood on the 1st July 1916. Cheers Neil.

Today a friend told me that he saw that Theipval Wood was mentioned as being for sale on BBC1 NI and that a Northern Ireland WW1 heritage group was going to buy it ? Does anyone have any more information ?

There's an article about the sale of the wood in the latest edition of "Battlefields Review" magazine. I'll send you a scan of the relevent page if you want, Conor.

Dave.

It is the wood itself. A wood is no use to the French (they cant farm it), so they may as well try to make some money out of it!

That's not exactly true - they sell the shooting rights to the wood, which is BIG money in Northern France, and worth Millions of Euros each year.

I haven't seen the article about the sale of this wood, but I would be surprised if a public body could outbid a French landowner who could see the long term profit in selling the shooting rights... but I sincerely hope this happens. I have had the chance to explore the wood on several occasions, and it boasts a very extensive trench system, which a much wider audience should have the right to see.

How about the Welsh buying Mametz Wood and someone making an offer for High Wood ?

Ian ... I thought YOU wanted High Wood.... has your boat not come in yet!!!!! :D

Steve,

Still waiting for that lottery win then it will be mine ! Paul makes a good point about the value of these various woods for their hunting rights and I am sure we all hope for "the luck of the Irish" to all those trying to seal this purchase.