Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Merchant Navy

Tim Hailwood

Hi,

I am new to the navy side of WW1 and I am failing miserably to find any information on two men who served in the Metchant Navy. I have their medal cards but not sure which numbers refer to what. Their names are John Edward Williams born Liverpool 1890 and  Benjamin Robert Holton born 1898 Liverpool.

can anyone help or offer advice?

Tim

One of the numbers - probably in the RS2 box - will be a six digit number which relates back to the man's CR10 - identity certificate. The CR10 may be at the National Archives and should include a photo plus basic personal information and , in some cases, the number of the ships he served on. That latter number may then open up further information about the ships and possibly the crew lists, some of which remain but in various locations. Hope this helps.

Hi Tom,

It certainly does help, thank you very much.

Tim

Thank you for your help

On 11/06/2019 at 09:53, Tom Wales said:

One of the numbers - probably in the RS2 box - will be a six digit number which relates back to the man's CR10 - identity certificate. The CR10 may be at the National Archives and should include a photo plus basic personal information and , in some cases, the number of the ships he served on. That latter number may then open up further information about the ships and possibly the crew lists, some of which remain but in various locations. Hope this helps.

These are available on FindMyPast