Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

77th Field Ambulance

andrew pugh

Good Evening

I have a question and hope someone can help. Private 74455 Humphries Frederick Thomas was killed on the 24/03/1918. He belonged to the Royal Army Medical Corps, but was attached to the 2nd Battalion Ox & Buck's Light Infantry when he was killed.What I am trying to find out if he was a R A M C man did he have any connection with the 77th Field Ambulance before being attached to the Ox & Buck's Light Infantry.Because when he first signed up to the R A M C he must have been sent to a specific unit within the R A M C, if that makes sense.I look Forward to your replies.

Kind Regards

Andy 

Hi Andy,

Is there any reason that you've honed in on 77 FA? It seems that they we part of 25 Division, whereas 2/OBLI were 2 Division. I would have guessed that an attachment from within the same division would have been more likely. The records I saw don't help any further.

His Soldiers' Effects record has his death as 'on or since'...'death presumed'. The amount of War Gratuity shown as paid is indicative of service counting from circa November 1915. His Soldiers Died record says that he was born in Cheltenham, and enlisted in Oxford. There are a couple of Red Cross records for him which include...

Humphries.jpg.eb232ed00ed9192211352fc8aab8136e.jpg

Image sourced from Findmypast

Regards

Chris