Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

CSM J.Baxenden MC Cameronians - A website copyright of his photo

davidbohl

I found this portrait of Liverpool schoolteacher CSM John Baxenden MC of the Cameronians https://www.ukphotoarchive.org.uk/p806595307/hB522F5A4#hb522f5a4

It looks like a newsprint and is requesting money, if you hover the mouse over the © symbol it says  "© The UK And Social History Archive".

I thought the correct syntax must have a date, e.g Copyright © 2016 Joe Bloggs.

I've searched the BNA for the clip but can't find it, does anybody know which publication it came from ?

Many Thanks

Dave

You may have already seen it, but there is a pencil sketch of Baxenden (as a Lieutenant) in the published history of the 10th Scottish Rifles (Edinburgh Press, 1923). The sketch was done by Herbert J Gunn, who also served in the 10th. National Museums Scotland holds some of Gunn's original sketches from the book - although I'm not sure if they have them all or not.

There is a decent batch of The War Illustrated mags to browse on https://archive.org/search.php?query=the+war+illustrated

I'll try and find the issue mentioned by Edward in post #3

Thanks all

Dave

Is The War Illustrated not online with BNA???  Or have I got the wrong one-  offshoot of  ILN  and I suspect, possibly still claimable as copyright if taken off BNA or ILN direct.  Though seemingly out of copyright for what I wanted when I scanned items from 1915 at BL Newsroom.  (Where is M*******  G********, Q** when we need him!!)

I think we are back to the same problem-  do people charging for stuff actually have the copyright?  Or indeed, if the material is in copyright (doubtful) whether the vendor actually has the permissions to peddle the stuff  for financial gain??

As an update- I note BL is no longer listing War Illustrated as available through BNA. Back to normal from when I went to Newsroom.

So-several choices:

1)  Pay the commercial vendor  whatever they ask

2)  Pay BL £17.50  for a copy under "permissions"

3)  Pay  BL 28p in the Newsroom to scan a particular page (War Illustrated is held at Boston Spa, under 48 hour request)

4) Take your smartphone or digital camera along and do it for nowt. It seems to be comfortably out of copyright.

5)  Look it up on "archive.org"

6)  Go down the pub and raise a glass to the idiocy of people trying to make money out of giving "permission" for what is not theirs to permit.

Edited by Guest

Page 122  from The Battle of Loos by Philip Warner is on Google Books and contains a testimony by CSM Baxenden to a fallen soldier.  Link

Dave

APPENDIX   E

OPERATION REPORT  -  MARTINPUICH.

BY C.S.M. BAXENDEN,   J.

I.          Disposition      My Coy was disposed as follows previous to the taking off.

No. 6 & 5 Platoons in BACON TRENCH.

“   7 & 8       “       “   POST TRENCH.

2/Lt. TORRANCE was in command of the Coy. with 2/Lt. SPRING as 2nd in Command.  There were no other officers.

II.        Taking Off.     With a barrage in the enemy trenches, the Coy advanced at 6-20 am along with the whole line and went over LIVER TRENCH to BOTTOM TRENCH (Front Line of enemy)   .

The troops on our left went half left and our first wave (No.6 Platoon) went with them.

I followed the first wave immediately with No.5 Platoon, but as the leading platoon of the Company had gone to the left with the K.O.S.B.s, my wave pushed on and became the leading platoon or wave.  I did not see any of my Company Officers after mounting the parapet.

III.       BOTTOM TRENCH  The first enemy trench (BOTTOM TRENCH) was occupied but offered no resistance, and I went straight on to the next trench where we met with opposition.

IV.       Tangle Trench   I halted the line, as we were too near the barrage, and opened fire on the enemy who were firing from TANGLE TRENCH.  After about 2 minutes in this position, I moved the line forward and we disposed of the occupants of TANGLE TRENCH, amongst whom was an officer.  There were deep dugouts in this trench, and I saw several Germans go into them.  Mills bombs were thrown down and also “P” bombs, which brought them out all right.

V.        First Objective.           This was reached about 6-30 am.  Some men on the left did not halt,

but went right into the village.  Naturally they suffered casualties from our own artillery fire. 

A party of Royal Scots did the same on the right, but I withdrew them to the First Objective

to wait for the lift.  The artillery firing on our position, fired short occasionally and was late in lifting the barrage.  I moved forward to the Final Objective at about 6-55 am.

VI.       Final Objective           The whole area round this was a huge dump and was difficult to move through.  At 7 am we commenced to dig in, in the eastern edge of the road.  The road was hard and more picks were needed.  I sent back a message for tools.  Soon after arrival here I was joined by LT. ROBERTS and an officer of the M.G. Coy.

VI.       Connection.                On the right, connection was well established with the 45th Bde.  On the left was a mass of debris, and the K.O.S.Bs  were on the northern side of the village occupying a line marked K.K. in the accompanying map.  Some of our No 6 Platoon had advanced to the trench marked XX with an officer of "C" Coy.  Afterwards they moved back out of our own fire.

VIII.    Defence.         I placed my Coy Lewis Gun in the middle of the line ZZ and the M.G. Coy officer placed a Vickers Gun on the right of the line ZZ and one on the road POZIERS - MARTINPUICH (i.e. in left of line ZZ) and one at position marked V. 

As along this road (POZIERS - MARTINPUICH) was the only place where any tolerably decent field of fire could be obtained, I asked for a Lewis Gun from MR ADAM on the right.  This was placed a little forward of the Vickers Gun covering the road (POZIERS  MARTINPUICH).

At 7-15 am as our own artillery was still causing us casualties, I placed the yellow flag 70 yards in front of the line ZZ and fired flares and ordinary very lights in the air from line ZZ.

IX.       Signs of Enemy.         At about 8-30 I observed enemy red split light sent up from about 100 yds N.E. of Church, otherwise I saw very little of any enemy, who were not made prisoners.

X.        Patrols.                        At 9 am I received orders from LT. ROBERTS to send out a patrol at 9-20 am.  The men who were digging along line ZZ consisted of various Units, but chiefly S.Rs and on the right 50 yds Royal Scots and the patrol consisted of about 30 bombers and bayonet men, and included about 6 Royal Scots.

I afterwards joined this patrol.

Route followed was roughly down the main road POZIERS  MARTINPUICH to Y and down to the left to RUE BASSE.  Various dug-outs were bombed with Mills Grenades and "P" bombs and about 200 prisoners were obtained between 9-30 am and 11 am including several officers.  No serious opposition was met with, although an M.G. fired from a position N.E. of the village.  I examined the dug-out in which the officers were and collected various maps and documents which I forwarded to you with my patrol report at 11-40 am.  This was at point marked 'O' on the COURCELETTE ROAD.  Prisoners were also taken from dug-outs on the COURCELETTE ROAD and RUE BASSE.  The dug-out marked "O" was very large and well equipped with signalling apparatus and contained a couple of Machine Guns.  During this time the Division on our right advanced a good distance in an enveloping movement on the village.  As however, there was no sign of the left Division coming up to meet it, I withdrew the patrol at 11-20 am and forwarded my report with documents for intelligence to you, Sir. 

At 2 pm a second Patrol under SGT. ROSS "C" Coy was sent to determine the position of the 45th Brigade.  I believe this report was sent on to you separately.  SGT. ROSS reported to me that the village was clear of the enemy.

XI.       Occupation of PUSH ALLEY.          At about 4-30 pm I received orders from

LT. ROBERTS to remain as garrison in the newly dug trench ZZ whilst he took up the remainder of the Battn. to occupy PUSH ALLEY.  This was done by movement in small parties of 6 men.  A couple of Lewis Guns accompanied the party.  An hour later I sent up bombs S.A.A. & Very Lights with all the flares I could collect to LT. ROBERTS in PUSH ALLEY.  I had established a bomb and S.A.A. store in German bomb store at M.32.c.4.6.

XII.     Enemy Artillery          From about 11-30 am enemy shelled us continuously in line ZZ and rear of this line, with shells of various calibres.

XIII.    Relief.             Was relieved at 9-20 pm by a Coy of 9th Y. & L. and brought away details of A, C and D Coys and my own Coy.  We proceeded to LANCS TRENCH where I reported to you Sir.

I have the honour to be, Sir,

Your o'bedient Servant,

(Sd.)  JOHN BAXENDEN.  C.S.M.

17/9/16.

This is from the WD of the 10th Bn Cameronian SR you may already have seen this.