Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Silver War Badge

archangel9

I have a small collection of medals mostly to Connaught Rangers. Recently a Silver War Badge appeared on ebay and I was going to bid as I don't have one in my collection.

It ended last weekend while I was distracted by a family discussion which made me miss it. The SWB appeared again today on the same site for sale by its new owner

for nearly double what he/she paid for it last weekend. Inflation eh?

I am tempted but perhaps I should just stop talking to my family and wait for the next one?

John

happens a lot, I have watched items with no bids end and get relisted higher. sometimes free potage then with charge. there could be a reason, seller has been contacted regarding further information increasing value or may just be chancing his arm.

If its not for you dont pay it, I have set limits that I wont pay over, likewise Ive regretted. there rae also sellers selling plaques for well inflated pricess, knowing that one day someone will pay their price as they need it.

There are always chancers around trying to make a buck or two. Who can blame them?  If I saw a memorial plaque that I could get for, say, £40, I would have a pop at it hoping to sell it on for £50+. The same with silver war badges. They have not really settled into a price range that one can identify with. But the records are now available to find on line. So if someone is selling a swb without identifying the recipient then it will only attract a lowish bid. An "entrepreneur" could buy it, look up the recipient and sell it on at a higher price to a collector to that regiment. Knowledge is power, as they say. But you should still be able to get a swb for your collection at a modest price. It's just a matter of biding your time.

Unless it is the badge to one of your medal recipients I wouldn't bother bidding. If you are just looking for an example for your collection, another will show up.

Good advice and as it happens the new listing has been ended early and I can see now that the 'new owner' was in fact the same owner. He/she must have been bidding on the SWB using another account. Dodgy! So forgetting about it.

Thanks 

6 minutes ago, archangel9 said:

Good advice and as it happens the new listing has been ended early and I can see now that the 'new owner' was in fact the same owner. He/she must have been bidding on the SWB using another account.

I thought that was against eBay rules?

You could report the sale to them.

Definitely against the rules on ebay. But I reported a similar incident a few years ago and nothing was done. I guess if you buy your own item you still pay the fees so 

they don't bother intervening.

8 hours ago, archangel9 said:

Good advice and as it happens the new listing has been ended early and I can see now that the 'new owner' was in fact the same owner. He/she must have been bidding on the SWB using another account. Dodgy! So forgetting about it.

Thanks 

Hi

Not necessarily dodgy, it may have been finished early so that the vendor could re-sell it on Sunday when eBay fees were a maximum of £1 for the day

• ss002d6252 locked this topic
  • ss002d6252 unlocked this topic

Bidding on your own item using a different account is fraudulent and against ebay rules.

This is what Dummies has to say:

"When you cancel an auction, you have to write a short explanation that appears on the bidding history section of your auction page. Anyone who bid on the item may message you for a written explanation. If bidders think your explanation doesn’t hold water, don’t be surprised if your inbox becomes nasty.

Bidding on your own item is against the rules."

Edited by Dai Bach y Sowldiwr