Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

identification help

Guest kitycat68

Guest kitycat68

After all the help with my last request i wondered if you could help me one again, ive attached a photo of my grt grt grandad sat down and grt uncle stood up they were both from Salford, Lancashire and both called JOHN HUGHES this photo was taken in ww1. Any info would be greatly appreciated. Thank you so much.

post-23-1107120537.jpg

thank you for that any ideas on the gentleman stood up?

He has his Marksman's Crossed Rifles Proficiency Badge & what Appears to be a Lewis Gunner/Hotchkiss Gunner/Machine Gunner [LG ,MG,or HG in a wreath]Below it,the Shoulder Titles Should identify his Regiment,if you can get a Close up of them,they could be one of a Dozen similar Short Curved Titles;eg: "King's","S.Lancs",N.Lanc","Loyals",Etc;

There are an awful lot of "John Hughes" {1600 +}listed in the NA MiCs,Have you any other information,eg: Middle Names?

As Harry has outlined we really need more information to take this further. There were a number of service battalions recruited in Salford (known as the Salford Pals) and there appears to have been a number of John Hughes' that served with them. There were also territorial battalions in the vicinity and men from the area would also have served with other battalions. Did they both survive the war? There are a number of John Hughes' from Salford who served with the LF who died.

Rgds

Tim D

You might also want to take the 18th (2nd South East Lancs) LF (2nd Bury Bantams) into consideration, as I am aware of a case of a guy from the 15th LF (1st Salford) drafted into it when the 35th (Bantam) Div was weeded out/ shored up. I'd be surprised if he was the only one. The same could easily apply to the 17th (1st SEL) LF (1st Bury Bantams) too. The Bury Bantams were all supposed to be rock-hard miners who belied the under-fed/ under-sized reputation (often unfairly) given the Bantams.

And while not intending to be flippant about your relatives' service in any way, I couldn't help but think:

Dalziel and Pascoe - The Early Years.

Regards,

Grovetown.

Guest kitycat68

wow thanks for all that. the only information i actually have is as follows: they were both called John Hughes from Pendleton in Salford, lanchashire. They are father and son, the father we presume survived as hes buried in a cemetery in salford. but the son lost his life in ww1 Ive looked through the cwgc just to see if they give parents details as a few do, but with the information you have given me i might be able to check a few more out. The shoulder badge unfortunately is very distorted when enlarged the same as the "gunner" badge. A bit thank you for the info you have given me so far. regards

janet

• 2 weeks later...

Hello Janet,

I don't think the badge is "The Cheshire Regiment" the shoulder title is too small my guess is it is ASC "Army Service Corps" perhaps some of the other members may correct me if I am wrong.

Cheers Rob. B

Janet,

He is Army Service Corps. It looks like an RASC shoulder title which would make it 1918 I think. I cannot find any ASC men who fit the bill. Are you sure his name was John? There is the following man listed from Pendleton as KIA:

Name: HUGHES, JOHN

Initials: J

Nationality: United Kingdom

Regiment: Lancashire Fusiliers

Unit Text: 15th Bn.

Date of Death: 01/07/1916

Service No: 27536

Additional information: Husband of Annie Hughes, of 5, Dumville St., Whit Lane, Pendleton, Manchester.

Casualty Type: Commonwealth War Dead

Grave/Memorial Reference: Pier and Face 3 C and 3 D.

Cemetery: THIEPVAL MEMORIAL

Rgds

Tim D

Janet,

It was the young bloke who died and not his father? Perhaps this man is also a relative?

Rgds

Tim