Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

6th (Service) Battalion, Lincolnshire Regiment

mrfrank

I've just picked up a large framed Gale & Polden group photograph taken at Frensham in 1915 presumably on the eve of the battalion's departure for Gallipoli. It features a total of 50 soldiers including two officers (Capt & 2nd Lt), one Sgt, two Cpls, four L/Cpls and 41 Privates. I'm assuming this to be a platoon photograph with the platoon commander and company commander. With the help of the Army List of May 1915 and a bit of Internet research, I think I've identified both officers as being Captain Perceval Leathley Brown and 2nd Lt Thomas Darwin Overton. Would anyone be able to confirm which Company/platoon these respective officers were in command of please? 

Also, the picture framer has helpfully pencil marked the back of the photo with the customer's name as being Mrs Johnson of 11 Canwick Square, Lincoln. Having looked at the Lincoln War Memorial there is one Johnson for the 6th Battalion, namely Pte John Robert Johnson 10764 so he may be amongst this group but would have to check for other Johnsons if there is a battalion roll who may have survived. Could anyone confirm whether there is a 6th Bn Johnson connected to that address? 

I'll add an image of the photo to the thread if anyone is interested in seeing it. Any assistance gratefully received and thanks in advance. 

Edited by mrfrank

MRFrank

A history of the battalion has been published on lulu.com by Col F G Spring which can be downloaded as a pdf file.  According to that the platoon in question was No 6 Platoon, B Coy; there is also a photo of the battalion officers with both shown.

Might be worth buying a copy.  The author may be interested in the photo if you can get hold of him.

Kind regards

Colin

Thank you Colin. Wasn’t sure about the level of detail it contained about the early history of the battalion and it’s time at Gallipoli, but will certainly look at getting the PDF as well as the book itself. Your information suggests I may have the officers correctly identified at least. 

Edited by mrfrank

• 9 months later...

HI mrfrank

Wondering if you could post your picture of 6th lincolns at Frensham

My Great Grandfather Thomas Harris Kibble served with this platoon at Gallipoli and I am hoping he is in this image.

I would also be interested in seeing it. 
den

And me too! Is this pre Gallipoli-of course it is-note to self-read info when excited 

Edited by toofatfortakeoff

Pre-Gallipoli photo of 6 Platoon, B Company and no doubt taken on the eve of departure from the UK. Both officers fell at Gallipoli.

If anyone can identify any of the soldiers featured I'd be pleased to hear from you. Photo is framed under glass so can be difficult to get an decent image, however if anyone would like a closer shot of a particular part of the photo then just let me know. 

Mike

image.jpeg

Edited by mrfrank

• 2 weeks later...

marvellous work thank you 

Edward Crow and possibly with Fred Smith sorry about poor photo both of 6th Lincolns 

ed crow .jpg

Fred Smith killed at Gallipoli Chocolate Hill His (adoptive) mother had lost husband son and grandson in the great storm at Chowder Ness on the Humber (very close to Barton on Humber their home) earlier that year. Hared times. 

Fred Smith .jpg