Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Frederick Henry Alexander Howe East Kent Rgt

Tavern Druid

Hi Forum

A friend asked if I could help with finding more on the military service of his father -in-law.

And I couldn’t so I am seeking help from the experts please.

Here, in brief, is what he has told me.

Frederick Henry Alexander Howe, given the name Fritz at birth, which he used until 1911 changing it to Frederick. His Marriage certificate dated 27th October 1918 shows him as a Corporal in the 3rd Buffs and stationed at Citadel Barracks Chatham.

Family stories state he was a gas attack victim during WW1 at Ypres or Paschendale. As the 3rd

Buffs was a holding and reserve Battalion and never served outside the UK during WW1

did he serve in another Battalion and was sent back to UK as a result of the gas attack ?

Possible as Citadel Barracks housed a military hospital during the war.

Went to Ireland in 1921 as a member of the ‘Black and Tans’

During WW2 he served at Wilmington Kent with the rank of Sergeant in the Royal Artillery

in a Searchlight Battery which was based at Horns Cross Drill Hall Dartford.

(73rd {Kent Fortress} Anti Aircraft Batt., Royal Engineers. T.A. Home Counties Area

Eastern Command. 322 Coy. Horns Cross.) This unit started as a R.E. outfit but was

transferred to the R.A. in August 1940.

I am unable to find any record of military service.

We have between us found a likely candidate on a medal index card, F H A Howe East Kent R Pte L/10130 (although the hand writing the 3 could be a 9) he was a awarded a Trio with the 15 star.

The man entered France on 26-5-15.

I have checked for men with serial numbers close to L/10130 and found one, L/10129, who attested on 6 March 1914 in the 1st East Kent, he was born in Windsor. L/10128 born in Folkestone joined at Tipperary 7 June 1913, regiment not stated on Ancestry search page.

Which hasn’t helped much, apart from giving me a rough date of his “possible” enlistment.

My theory is that he did join up early and if he was a casualty then was sent for recuperation, as my friend has worked out.

The fact that he served in WW2 could mean that his service record was not among those destroyed in WW2 and is still held by the MoD.

I have told my fried to get the man’s Grandson to apply for his service record anyway, that way they won’t have to pay even if there is not a record.

Any help on where to look to next or if any forum members can shed any light on this man would be gratefully appreciated.

Many Thanks

David

2 hours ago, Tavern Druid said:

did he serve in another Battalion

The BWM/VM Roll on Ancestry suggests he went to France with the 2nd Bn E Kent Regt.

I couldn't see him obviously on Casualty Lists.

Charlie

3 hours ago, Tavern Druid said:

Family stories state he was a gas attack victim during WW1 at Ypres or Paschendale

FindmyPast have an unusual Religious Confirmation record for him for 1917. Again he is 2nd Buffs but at the time was at Warlingham Military Hospital, 7/12/17.  Would fit with having a health problem late 1917 ?

Charlie

Edit- I note it says he was aged 21.

His baptism says born 11/4/1897

Edit Edit. Note that the Confirmation record gives his full name and although it gives his number as 10180 we can take this as a transcription error for 10130. So the MIC you identified is definitely him.

Edited by charlie962

deleted (was Link to IWM 1944 records of an FHA Howe in RA but in Burma. Presumed  nothing to do with him ?)

Edited by charlie962

Nice work Charlie.

1 hour ago, charlie962 said:

His baptism says born 11/4/1897

Which would seem to tie back nicely to the birth registration of Fritz Henry A Howe - April quarter 1897, Ref Tenterden 2a 761.

Edit:

I see now where you got that from.

image.png.bbd83c24f5dd36296bbcc0de896236e0.png

image.png.35120e8ce623d0cfa5e381abe64ba97b.png

Images sourced from Findmypast

Regards

Chris

Edited by clk

He certainly did not serve as a Black and Tan if he used his real name to enlist.

The RIC register is complete and comprehensive, so he never joined

Hi Charlie and Corisande

Thanks for your responses.

It certainly looks like him in the Confirmation Record and the baptism appeas to be correct. Norton St Mary seems to be in the Swale area of north Kent.

Perhaps the confirmation took place as he was extremely ill and he was thought to be near to death.

I need now to check with my friend on his Frederick’s' siblings and where they lived. This information he didn't give to me.

As to the IWM record of private papers.

My friend seems certain that he was in a searchlight battery, but if his work was secret he may have made this up as a cover story.

Intriguing.

Again I will have to ask what evidence there is to support his time in the Black and Tans.

So I now am pretty sure that the MiC we found is the right man and this is confirmed by the medal roll page as well. Which you all have also located.

Many Thank and I will come back when I have more background on him.

Best wishes

David

10 minutes ago, Tavern Druid said:

As to the IWM record of private papers

Sorry, I deleted the link thinking it was irrelevant but it is worth checking out.

17 hours ago, corisande said:

e certainly did not serve as a Black and Tan if he used his real name to enlist.

But I note that the 1st Bn East Kents were in Fermoy 1920, and left Ireland 1922..

Charlie

Edited by charlie962

3 minutes ago, charlie962 said:

Sorry, I deleted the link thinking it was irrelevant but it is worth checking out.

But I note that the 1st Bn East Kents were in Fermoy 1920, and left Ireland 1922..

Charlie

So that could well point to him being in the B&T.

It would be nice to have his service record.

Hopefully my friend will apply for it.

David

On 09/06/2019 at 17:33, Tavern Druid said:

So that could well point to him being in the B&T

Sorry to be pedantic, but if he were serving with the East Kents in Ireland, then he was not in the B&Ts. He was in the army

The B&Ts were all "ex soldiers", and by definition a serving soldier was not in the B&Ts. A B&T constable served as part of the normal RIC and was stationed in RIC barracks around the country, and had  (effectively) nothing to do with the army