Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Cameron Highlander Pipers

mbriscoe

I photographed this Roll of Honour in the Highlanders' Museum at Fort George yesterday.  Nearly all are shown with the rank "Piper" though that not shown on the CWGC website.  I presume they are all pipers?

1-JMB_07_06_2019_09_33_31_0002771703.JPG.da61189cf06108dc25c6c1d84a2816ae.JPG

Yes, they were all pipers.  They are all recorded (with one exception - MacKintosh of the 143rd CEF) in either Richard H Crawford's publication, 'Floo'ers O' The Forest - Fallen Pipers of the Great War', or Seton & Grant's 'The Pipes of War'.

In fact, there are a fair few Cameron pipers who lost their lives, who are NOT recorded on that memorial plaque.

By coincidence, I was looking at Pipe-Major Selby just the other day.  His full name was George Charles Selby and although he is purported to have been born in Dumfries in 1886, I've found no actual record of it.  He was however married in Liverpool in 1908.  One of the earliest pipers to lose his life....in October 1914.

Thanks, it is surprising that there was nothing put on the board to indicate they were pipers but I suppose everyone at the time would have known.  I initially wondered if they had died whilst at the barracks.

There is a room set aside at the moment that covers the Cameron Highlanders in WWI, I took some pictures of items related to nurses which I have sent to Jim Strawbridge.

There is also a large stone in Tomnahurch that records all the members of the regiment buried there

15 minutes ago, mbriscoe said:

Thanks, it is surprising that there was nothing put on the board to indicate they were pipers but I suppose everyone at the time would have known.  I initially wondered if they had died whilst at the barracks.

There is a room set aside at the moment that covers the Cameron Highlanders in WWI, I took some pictures of items related to nurses which I have sent to Jim Strawbridge.

There is also a large stone in Tomnahurch that records all the members of the regiment buried there

I wonder if the board was originally in something like the band room?

RM

I am sure it was originally somewhere else because I don't remember seeing it in the museum.  The Cameron Highlanders have also been at Cameron Barracks (I think) so could have been there.

I also photographed another Roll of Honour for the Queen's Own Highlanders from 1960s to 1990s which also might have been elsewhere.

Edited by mbriscoe

The Camerons would have been at the Cameron Barracks, Inverness. Don't know when the depot would have located at Fort George, but I suspect on amalgamation with the Seaforth in 1958.

Cameron Barracks is still in use.

The Black Watch are at Fort George now though they are in German on exercises at the moment.

Wonkypedia has "Cameron Barracks has a very long affiliation with both Army Piping and Cadet Force Piping."  So seems quite likely the Roll of Honour might have been there.

3 SCOTS (Black Watch) will presumably be moving sooner or later, as I believe Fort George is slated for closure.

24 minutes ago, Steven Broomfield said:

3 SCOTS (Black Watch) will presumably be moving sooner or later, as I believe Fort George is slated for closure.

I think some time in the 2030s was mentioned so plenty of time for things to change.

4 hours ago, mbriscoe said:

Cameron Barracks is still in use.

The Black Watch are at Fort George now though they are in German on exercises at the moment.

Wonkypedia has "Cameron Barracks has a very long affiliation with both Army Piping and Cadet Force Piping."  So seems quite likely the Roll of Honour might have been there.

Yes, I remember some great TA/OTC weekends at Cameron Barracks in the early 80s, involving a lot of piping and drinking.....and not necessarily in that order.  

It was primarily used by the TA at that time and I gather that nowadays, the ACF/ATC pipe bands use it.