Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Charlie major

maudson

Another plea for help. I am trying to sort out the WW1 Service of Charlie Major born in 1896 in Raunds, Northamptonshire. (His brother Charles Arthur Major born 1897 was killed in 1917). His Medal Card has him in East Kent Regiment (No. 25818) and the Queens (Royal West Surrey Regiment), Regimental Number G/79303. The Ringstead (his home village) Roll of Honour has him in the 16th Battalion of the East Kent (Buffs Regiment) and demobilised. The Absent Voters List for 1910 has him in the 3rd Buffs (Could this refer to the old name of 3rd Regiment of Foot?). The Medal Roll, however, has him in the 10th Battalion of East Kents, moving to the Queen's. The Medal Roll shows many soldiers moving from the 10th (and 7th) East Kents to the RWS. I have tried to find some other soldiers with similar numbers to his  without success. I wondered if anyone would know when this movement from the 10th East Kent to the RWS took place and if there is any clues in his numbers to his service time. Thanks for any hints or pointers. David

Sometimes medal rolls have transfer dates but it's a bit hit and miss as many don't 

Hi David,

I don't think that it's particularly safe to base any inferences on a sample size of just one, but there is a surviving record for G/79345 Young, Queen's (Royal West Surrey Regiment). It indicates that his number dates from post war (March 1919) when he was transferred from the 10/Buffs (East Kent Regiment).

image.png.ecbb3fdca0ab7e901f91136c170407c8.png

Image sourced from Findmypast

In terms of Charlie's 25818 Buffs/East Kent number, that may date from late May 1918. The record for 25813 Hubbard shows

image.png.47146e7dcc7fc6d33adbcdfb3f73cbfa.png

...and 25815 Inns shows

image.png.041fbc380d704fc35bd5a434886aa5e2.png

3/Buffs (East Kent Regiment) was a home based unit - see the LLT here.

Regards

Chris 

Thanks Coldstreamer for the suggestion.

Many thanks Chris. Although I appreciate your worry about relying on single records. what you have shown does fit in with what I felt might be the case and means that I can give a brief story of his army career. Without some clear idea of the dates it is almost impossible to write anything meaningful. I much  appreciate your time and expertise. I guess that the 10th left France and as a newcomer my man was transferred to help with the post war problems there. I need to look at it again but I feel much happier about telling some of his story.

Best Wishes

David

• Admin

On the 8th March 1919 the war diary for the 1st Queen’s notes two officers and 110 ORs joined from the 10th East Kents on instructions of GHQ.  The Battalion was instrumental in setting up and administering No 2 Reception Camp (Demobilisation) at Harfleur and had been engaged on that duty since the end of January.

Ken 

Many thanks Ken.

I think that finishes the clarification of his service and I can write up what I have got.. The GWF has really excelled itself for me this time.

Best Wishes

David