Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

W H Everton RASC

593jones

I recently acquired a copy of 'Musketry Regulations Part 1' on Ebay and was interested to find an owner's name written inside.  The name, W H Everton, pulled up two records on Forces Records, a private in the Lincolns and a 2nd Lt. in the RASC.  Now assuming that it was more likely that an officer would have a copy of the book than a private, I looked further and found a record on Findagrave.com of 2nd Lt W H Everton, died 30th May, 1918 and buried in Ramleh War Cemetery https://www.findagrave.com/memorial/22749153/w-h-everton

I wonder if this officer could have been the original owner of the book.

There are another couple, William Henry of the Tank Corps and WH of the RGA.  However on your valid reasoning that an officer would be more likely to have such a document, I'd say it is most likely.  As a young officer he would have to ensure his men were properly trained and would sensibly consult the bible on such matters!

Max

Hi,

If you've found the right man, it seems that he was... 

image.png.275763d7c91f9c8fbcc3e7cce1834534.png

Image source - the National Archives.

His Soldiers' Effects record (link) says that he was ASC (attached Camel Corps) when he died from typhus. His National Probate record shows...

image.png.ce682125b70ada7fa544e51085968ea2.png

Image source - Ancestry.co.uk

image.png.cfab5ab611c50c3ea352828f3be3a3dd.png

image.png.332ec0035ff3c0462b3f681068832cc1.png

Images sourced from the London Gazette

His MiC shows...

image.png.adb0f66279b1315865a65bea63f483dd.png

image.png.47c43e450cdb880763459e6530a50983.png

Image source - Ancestry.co.uk

Paul Nixon's website (link) would date his 2073 Warwickshire Yeomanry number from between 6.11.1913 and 28.2.1914. There are however some papers on FMP for a 2075 Shepard (link) which seem to narrow it down to circa 23.1.1914. There is some general info about the Warwickshire Yeomanry on the LLT here.

In the 1911 census (Ancestry link) he is a 16 year old living with his parents (Martin and Rose Hannah) in 13 Railway Terrace.

It looks like what remains of his service file is here at the National Archives. Hopefully it would contain his original attestation papers, which might enable to compare how he signed his name, with how it's written in the book. 

Regards

Chris

That's an amazing amount of information, Chris, thanks so much.  I think it's pretty certain this is the man, I had another look at the book and there was some writing which had been crossed through, which on closer inspection, under magnification, I am sure read 'Cairo 1916'.  This would fit in with the Warwickshire Yeomanry's movements.  I see from the MIC card that he had been an Acting WO Class II, so this may have been when he obtained the musketry book - as a senior NCO this is quite likely.  I would certainly like to see his file, but am not likely to be visiting London any time soon, perhaps I could bribe persuade my son, who does live in London, to visit the NA for me and get a copy.

Thanks again, it does give an added interest to the book to know something about it's owner.