Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

James Lawson Low - 5th Gordon Highlanders

Alanatabz

Looking for any further info that what's already online

Although served in WW1, he was listed as being wounded "Scotsman 5/7/1915 casualty list - wounded"

He served in WW2 as a Group Commander for 201 Bt (Aux. Units) which was never mentioned in His Obituary in 1951

does WW1 service number carry to WW2 service?  He was listed as a Lietenant in WW2, After the war he was always mentioned as "Major J.L. Low"

Also anybody any info on what 5th Gordon Highlanders were doing 5th July 1915? that JL Low would have been wounded?

Edited by Alanatabz

28 minutes ago, Alanatabz said:

Looking for any further info that what's already online

Although served in WW1, he was listed as being wounded "Scotsman 5/7/1915 casualty list - wounded"

He served in WW2 as a Group Commander for 201 Bt (Aux. Units) which was never mentioned in His Obituary in 1951

does WW1 service number carry to WW2 service?  He was listed as a Lietenant in WW2, After the war he was always mentioned as "Major J.L. Low"

Also anybody any info on what 5th Gordon Highlanders were doing 5th July 1915? that JL Low would have been wounded?

I'm not sure his service no is right either

Hi,

As you have followed my advice and posted here (but haven’t returned to WW2forum yet to acknowledge the information I posted there yesterday evening) I will post a further response here -

Where did you get the six digit number from?

According to the Gordon Highlanders site I provided links to yesterday evening he served as an officer from the outset of the war. He did not have a WW1 “Regimental Number” as officers did not have such numbers at the time. He would’ve likely had the Honorary rank of Major on leaving the Army (Territorial Force) post WW1. It wasn’t unusual for WW1 officers to return to duty in WW2 in a rank lower than their WW1 rank. 

I haven’t searched the London Gazette as you say you want information that isn’t on the internet so I can only hazard a guess that the number you quote if shown as his WW2 Officer Service Number on LG.

I mentioned that he was likely not wounded 5th July 1915 as that is the date he is on the Casualty list published in The Scotsman and that the War Diary should be available via Ancestry.

Steve

Edited by tullybrone

Thanks Steve

Although my focus in on WW2, I am writing a 2nd book about WW2 in the area and have a mix of info, I suspect the Service no is wroung (listed against somebody with a similar name in 1963 - when the Chap I am researching dies in 1951). That number on this forum lists a different name all together, so adds to confusion.

He was given an OBE on 5th July 1920, perhaps more from his services to teaching or efforts in Scouting, Forming a branch of the British legion etc.

Working on getting information on ancestry now.

Cheers

Alan

Alan - he was commissioned in 5th GH in 1911 (see LGAZ)

Ken

Also from LG

5th Bn., Gordon Highlanders.—Capt. (Bt.

Maj.) J. Milne, M.C., T.D., from 7th Bn.,

to be Maj. 1st Dec. 1920.

Capt. J. L. Low, O.B.E., to be Maj. 1st

Dec. 1920.

.5th/7th Bn. Gordons.—Maj. J. L. Low,

O.B.E., T.D., resigns his commn. and

retains his rank; 15th May 1925.

Edited by kenmorrison

Hi Alan,

On ‎04‎/‎06‎/‎2019 at 06:54, Alanatabz said:

does WW1 service number carry to WW2 service?

His post WW1 officer admin number would appear to be P25028.

image.png.91a65d8da67d886075e3be26526bf927.png

Image sourced from The National Archives

If that's the case, what's left of his service file is held by the MoD.

image.png.380425c8f13dc0ac39df6add9b903eb4.png

Regards

Chris

Dundee Courier - Wednesday 04 June 1919.

lawson low.jpg

Excellent info

It appears the 1/5th Gordon Highlanders became 153 Battalion of 51st Highland Division

Cannot find what his injuries were, it didn't seem to be serious based on the fact he was assigned later as a PE instructor (Maybe not physical injuries?)

Would there be service records for J.L.Low (OBE) available to general public?

15 hours ago, Alanatabz said:

Excellent info

It appears the 1/5th Gordon Highlanders became 153 Battalion of 51st Highland Division

Cannot find what his injuries were, it didn't seem to be serious based on the fact he was assigned later as a PE instructor (Maybe not physical injuries?)

Would there be service records for J.L.Low (OBE) available to general public?

Hi,

They didn’t become “153rd  Battalion” - they became part of 153rd Brigade (with 3 other Battalions) in 51st Highland Division in May 1915.

As per post 6 above  his service file is available to the general public via MOD on payment of £30. No death certificate required. Records likely retained by MOD as he continued his service in the Territorial Army until 1925. However they will have likely been culled. It is MOD policy not to release medical information.

https://www.gov.uk/get-copy-military-service-records/apply-for-someone-elses-records

Steve

Edited by tullybrone

Than ks again guys!

CLK's picture post of Admin no.

75 (TF) - anybody any idea what the A???????? Corps is/are?

He is listed on the Edinburgh University's Roll of Service as:

LOW, JAMES LAWSON.

M.A. 1908. Schoolmaster. 5th Gordon Highlanders (T.), 1898; Lieut. 1913;

Acting Captain Jan. 1915; Captain Oct. 1915; Acting Major Jan. 1916.

Wounded June 1915. Dispatches Jan. 1916, June 1918, Jan. and March 1919.

O.B.E. June 1919.

Ken

Thanks Ken

The Family will look to get his service records suggested by Tullybrone.

In WW2, he served as a Lieutenant in 201 Battalion (Auxiliary Units) based on a report of Aux Units for NE Scotland, Although before and after WW2 he used title Major (based on BNA articles from boy scouts, Boys Brigade, British Legion etc).  He retired from being a school teacher in 1945 (old Deer School)

Hi,

4 hours ago, Alanatabz said:

anybody any idea what the A???????? Corps is/are?

My guess would be that it's Army Educational Corps. The 5/75 bit is 5th Battalion, 75th Regiment of Foot.

Regards

Chris

7 hours ago, clk said:

Hi,

The 5/75 bit is 5th Battalion, 75th Regiment of Foot.

Regards

Chris

More likely 5th Battalion of the 75th Recruiting District. Infantry Regimental recruiting areas were numbered as Recruiting Districts: these numbers were taken from the old number of the senior regiment in the amalgamation of 1881, so the Gordon Highlanders (ex-75th and 92nd Foot) were the 75th recruiting District. I think 'TA' is hand-written after the 5/75.

51 minutes ago, Steven Broomfield said:

More likely 5th Battalion of the 75th Recruiting District.

Thanks Steven, that's interesting. I was led to believe that it was a case of the clerks continuing to use archaic terminology for the regimental name. I guess ultimately it's tantamount to the same thing, and should be read/interpreted by Alan as 5th Battalion, Gordon Highlanders.

Regards

Chris

Nothing to do with this, really, but the Gordon Highlanders were, as you probably know, and amalgamation of the 75th (Stirlingshire) Regiment and the 92nd (Gordon Highlanders) Regiment. It is pretty-well the only Line regiment I can think of where pretty well all traditions came from the junior partner. The 75th weren't even a kilted unit before amalgamation.

As I say, not really anything to do with it all, but it intrigues me.