Great War Forum

Remembered Today:

Sign in to follow this  
Muerrisch

Crowns large, and crowns small.

Muerrisch

Whilst quietly perspiring over my forthcoming work on Warrant Officers I dived into the Priced Vocab of Clothing etc. of 1913. 

Large worsted crowns WERE NOT PROVIDED for SD jackets, despite the almost universal use by sergeant-majors up to May 1915, and CSMs thereafter [and not a few colour-sergeants either].

This is what I found:

The Priced Vocabulary for Clothing of 1913 annotated below provides an insight into the official provisions for the few badges needed for warrant officers on drab service dress.

Bandmaster: Crown, lyre and wreath in gilding metal with plate and pin, cost 4 d

(There was no provision of a bronzed version for Rifles, nor the special lyre badge for the Royal Artillery, and no worsted variety).

Conductor & 1st Class Staff Sergeant-Major: Crown and wreath in gilding metal with plate and pin, cost 2 d, also in worsted for the Greatcoat cost 8 d

Other Warrant Officers: Crown in gilding metal with plate and pin, cost  1/2 d., also in worsted for the Greatcoat: cost 5 d.

Examination of period photographs contrasts what was actually worn with the priced items: sergeant majors with large crowns on the jacket (as opposed to the greatcoat) being a prime example. Full dress (scarlet tunic for infantry) had been retained in 1902 and provision was indeed made in this order of dress for large and small crowns and for the RA band lyre.

Clothing Regs 1914 make no distinction for crown size. I can only conclude that there was widespread use of the worsted greatcoat crown on the jacket, not the cheap brass little version. Never say Never.

FROGSMILE
Posted (edited)

It is typical that the WOs would go for the largest crown badge that they could after generations of wearing 4-bar stripes, that for a long time were in double lace (in the Foot Guards still were).  I think there was a general feeling among the OR hierarchy that without that choice being made the pre-1915 CSM and CQMS had far more visually impressive badges than the WOs in Battalion HQ.

Edited by FROGSMILE

Dragoon
4 hours ago, Muerrisch said:

Whilst quietly perspiring over my forthcoming work on Warrant Officers I dived into the Priced Vocab of Clothing etc. of 1913. 

Large worsted crowns WERE NOT PROVIDED for SD jackets, despite the almost universal use by sergeant-majors up to May 1915, and CSMs thereafter [and not a few colour-sergeants either].

This is what I found:

The Priced Vocabulary for Clothing of 1913 annotated below provides an insight into the official provisions for the few badges needed for warrant officers on drab service dress.

Bandmaster: Crown, lyre and wreath in gilding metal with plate and pin, cost 4 d

(There was no provision of a bronzed version for Rifles, nor the special lyre badge for the Royal Artillery, and no worsted variety).

Conductor & 1st Class Staff Sergeant-Major: Crown and wreath in gilding metal with plate and pin, cost 2 d, also in worsted for the Greatcoat cost 8 d

Other Warrant Officers: Crown in gilding metal with plate and pin, cost  1/2 d., also in worsted for the Greatcoat: cost 5 d.

Very interesting, thank you for sharing.

Chris