Great War Forum

Remembered Today:

barkalotloudly

Bob Wyatt

barkalotloudly

just received my copy of Stand To and was very sad to see the report regarding the passing of Bob Wyatt an absolute gentleman  always had time for a chat now there`s a book collection !!

R I P Bob  

voltaire60

He had an obit. in The Times a few Saturdays back.  Off camera, he was a part-time bookseller-pleasant chap.

Ron Clifton

RIP Bob. I first met him on a battlefield tour and he was the person who persuaded me to join the WFA.

Ron

MikeyH

He was also an authority on the vintage Austin motor car, and the author of several books on the

subject.  All true all rounder.

Mike.

David Filsell

I had the great pleasure of working with him when he was a transport manager for the AA. Helpful, highly knowledgeable, efficient and friendly summed him up He also offered me my first opportunity to review books for Stand To! Like many others I have much to thank him for.

MartH

An absolutely splendid guy, spent a lot of time at book-fairs in the 80's and 90's chatting with him. Once went to the Dolphin with him to see the clock stopped by the Zeppelin raid, my office was round the corner. 

Was kind to youngsters like me, in a lovely way. 

Dust Jacket Collector

Used to have a chat with him at the Tunbridge Wells Military Bookfair. Lovely chap. Both now gone and much missed.

MartH

It's worth adding it was said he had at least 10 rooms devoted to military  books, but you never heard that from him, he was often with a book dealer who I can't remember the name of. Is that the other other chap you are referring too Alan? I can picture the guys face and hearing aid.

It would make him smile and lick his lips with anticipation a book collection of his quality and size coming on the market, imagine collecting for 75 years!

He always enjoyed talking to my mother about her military service and  military people she had met at places like the Buxton book-fair, as my father and I went hunting for books. 

barkalotloudly

Bob Wyatt to his everlasting credit would never let anybody "cherry pick" what he had to sell until the public were admitted to the book fair. a rule  that had it been followed by all would have perhaps extended the life of this pleasant way of buying books {the main reason i gave up going to such events!}

I think the other chap who accompanied  Bob  was Derek Hales ? who lived at Reading, another very pleasant chap whom i have not heard from for years 

Bobs collection? about 20,000 i think ? it will be very interesting to see where that turns up !   

MartH

Yes barkalotloudly it was Derek Hayles, and he was another nice person. I think he met Bob as an MP. I know what you mean about book fairs, picked over thrice. Bob's collection yes at least over 20,000 but I bet the are old good quality and many rare volumes.

David Filsell

My understanding is that the collection will not be sold, his son too is a Great War enthusiast and is said intends to keep it.

barkalotloudly
4 minutes ago, David Filsell said:

My understanding is that the collection will not be sold, his son too is a Great War enthusiast and is said intends to keep it.

Good i am glad it will remain intact 

MartH
2 hours ago, David Filsell said:

Good!