Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

How to find the right Company he was with?

wade25

I know that James Anthony Wade 506219 was Sapper in the 2nd Battalion and he went in France on March 17 1918 to March 18 1919. I'm looking and reading all is attestations paper but nothing to guide me. Any help and suggestions?

Hi,

Hopefully someone who knows about Canadian troops will be able to advise better, but this document (link) seems to read as if the 2nd Battalion CE didn't have a company structure.

Regards

Chris

Chris's find is confirmed by the war diary of 2nd Field Company Canadian Engineers which records its reorganisation into 2nd Battalion Canadian Engineers on 23 May 1918 the name change taking effect at 4 pm 28 May 1918.  From that date the battalion had a HQ and 4 companies.  The Sappers of 2 Fd Coy were "divided into three" to form the nucleus of the battalion and they were joined by 107 Battalion Canadian Pioneers.  Thus your man may have ended his service in a battalion but started in a company.  If you start from here:

http://www.collectionscanada.gc.ca/lac-bac/results/images?module=images&SortSpec=score+desc&Language=eng&ShowForm=hide&SearchIn_1=mikanNumber&SearchInText_1=2005992&Operator_1=AND&SearchIn_2=&SearchInText_2=&Operator_2=AND&SearchIn_3=&SearchInText_3=&Level=&MaterialDateOperator=after&MaterialDate=&DigitalImages=1&Source=&ResultCount=10 you may find the company he was in.

Max

PS He didn't join 2nd Battalion until I Jun 1918 when the name change had taken place so the early history of the battalion is irrelevant.

Edited by MaxD

Don't know about the OP but I looked through his papers (which is where I got his date of joining 2 Bn from) - no sign of a company letter.

Max