Great War Forum

Remembered Today:

Quadey

Hargicourt Trench (4th ELR)

Quadey

Hi everyone, I have just had a fantastic last hour reading through Officer reports from when they were captured on 21/03/1918 at Hargicourt whilst serving with the 4th Battalion East Lancashire Rgt. My Gt Uncle was killed in action on this day whilst serving with this Battalion. He was in C Company under the command of Captain MB Bolton and apparently C Company put up a stand in Hargicourt Trench. Can any of you Linesman owners point me in the right direction as to where Hargicourt Trench is? Any help would be much appreciated! Hopefully my brother and I will be then able to pay our respects later in the year. Thanks in advance, Pete.

WhiteStarLine

Hi Pete,

Hargicourt trench is shown here, running north / south just west of the church.  Image from National Library of Scotland (https://maps.nls.uk/geo/explore/#zoom=16&lat=49.9635&lon=3.1680&layers=101465290&b=2)

image.png.072c71a08458e40380f7f60d14bf78fd.png

To pay your respects, you could start roughly in the middle and drive up and down the 2 roads.  If you have more detail in what you have been reading, then this may narrow down the exact point.  Image from tmapper (http://www.tmapper.com).

image.png.83db0ec5d0f4f0241d054a51cee4b884.png

JR Lloyd

Dear Pete, My father was in the H trench in 1917 and badly damaged the Cologne Farmhouse from it plus trenches nearby and gained the M.C.   I think you will find the book Riqueval (Hindenburg Line) by K.W. Mitchinson very useful. He has quite a section on Hargicourt.  Good luck. Your  Rob Lloyd