Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

S.P. Brch Paris Army Service Corps

o j kirby

Hello,

I recently added a pair if identity tags to my collection named to S4/215640 Sgt Percy Bristow, Army Service Corps. It turns out that he was awarded the Meritorious Service Medal in the "Peace Gazette", 1919. The index card states " S. P. Brch Paris ".

Can anyone tell me what that abbreviation stands for?

Many thanks,

Owain.

S4 prefix indicates Supply Kitcheners 4th volunteer army the number being allocated in the latter half of 1915.

Brch is probably Branch as in Supply Branch.  

Had a scan through 'Army Service Corps 1902 1918' by Michael Young but there isn't much on the Supply Branch. SP could be Supply Park, these serviced supply columns, in 1918 there were 38 Line of Communication Supply Columns but it doesn't say where they were.

Although if you read further there is reference to the Special Purchasing Dept, Paris !!

Should we assume the Supplies Purchase Branch had a sub Dept Special Purchases ?

Edited by charlie962

3 hours ago, Gardenerbill said:

S4 prefix indicates Supply Kitcheners 4th volunteer army

Actually, it doesn't.

This is a very common mistake. S1, S2, S3 and S4 were used as prefixes in the Supply Section ASC for men of Kitchener's New Armies, but it does not indicate that S1 was used for K1, S2 for K2, S3 for K3 and S4 for K4.

Ron

28 minutes ago, Ron Clifton said:

Actually, it doesn't.

This is a very common mistake. S1, S2, S3 and S4 were used as prefixes in the Supply Section ASC for men of Kitchener's New Armies, but it does not indicate that S1 was used for K1, S2 for K2, S3 for K3 and S4 for K4.

Ron

'Army Service Corps 1902 1918' by Michael Young

Clearly states Annex M page 239

S1, 2, 3 and 4 ) 1st, 2nd, 3rd and 4th New Armies.

Actually, in my opinion, it is all open to different interpretations. I have seen S4 referenced a Supply Labourers. Without the actual service record, who knows for sure?

All the best,

Gary

I think its straight forward the T1, R1, S1, M1  all start in 1914, first new Army and run through to T4, R4, S4 at the end of 1915 just before conscription begins when they revert to just T, R, S and M. The exception is Mechanical Transport who stopped at M2 for some reason. Perhaps Michael Young was wrong but I doubt it.

17 hours ago, Waggoner said:

Without the actual service record,

I provided the link to his service record in post4 above ?

Yes, I see you did provide an extract from his service record. The “Supplies Purchase Branch” is a new one to me. Presumably the Paris group interfaced with the French government. The ASC had many facets!

All the best,

Gary

Hello,

Many thanks to you all for taking the time to add to my information. I am somewhat intrigued to see on the extract of the service record that Bristow served with "Supplies Purchase Branch Algeria".

This brings on the question as to what Algeria could supply that could not be procured closer to home. One idea that has crossed my mind was Halal products for perhaps the Muslim Indian troops serving on the Western Front. Does anyone have any other ideas and are there records or resources that can be consulted?

Cheers,

Owain.

13 minutes ago, o j kirby said:

Supplies Purchase Branch Algeria

Yes, a new one for me too.

I would suspect they were purchasing foodstuffs of various type and livestock such as camels. The British supply system encompassed the world!

All the best,

Gary