Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

North Camp, Ripon

Steven Broomfield

Mrs Broomfield and I are off to sample the sybaritic pleasures of Ripon (Yorks) in a couple of weeks. Knowing that the Reserve Battalions of various Highland regiments in the Highland Reserve Brigade were located at North Camp from November 1915 to early 1918, I wondered if anyone can tell me where the camp was, and if there is anything there still to see.

Thanks. Good work. Appreciated.

The remains of the camp at Colsterdale are about 5 miles NW of Ripon where the Leeds Pals began their training in 1915 and where a cairn was erected in their memory in the 1930s. some directions here if you are interested

https://www.yorkshirepost.co.uk/best-in-yorkshire/outdoors/weekend-walk-colsterdale-camp-1-8219391

12 hours ago, Steven Broomfield said:

Ripon (Yorks) in a couple of weeks.

If you get up another 25 miles north to Richmond I'll say hello if I'm free.

You can take Mrs Broomfield out while I go and enjoy myself.

415449231_TNAOSPlanNorthCampRipon1.JPG.4a50add5942c308238e91f85fa42c13b.JPGI work for Historic England and I researched the Ripon camps as part of one of our WW1 programmes. This resulted in our book Legacies of the First World War in which Ripon features - Chapter 2 page 11 - as a composite plan of North and South camps and some images of the remaining buildings of North camp. These are but a fraction of this once huge army base but nevertheless are to the best of my knowledge the largest surviving group of WW1 concrete block constructed accommodation huts still in situ. If you visit Ripon the street you need is Lark Lane on which you will see huts converted to houses and behind these is the Ash Grove Industrial Estate where more exist in commercial use.

I attach the National Archives plan  for North camp with the surviving huts being part of those marked as sub-camp no 12.  I wrote an unpublished note about Ripon as a WW1 camp and this includes images of the place and description of its association with nearby practice trenches and rifle ranges (neither survive as visible remains now but are seen on WW2 period aerial photos). The Canadian war artist David B Milne also painted the camps and his works are available on line. There is also a good archive of photos including many of Ripon available on line in the Kings Own Royal Regiment collection at Lancaster. My note is too large to post here but if you can personal message me your details I may be able to post you a copy.

I note your interest in the Highlanders and there is newsreel footage of highland games at Ripon racecourse http://www.yorkshirefilmarchive.com/film/scenes-ripon-highland-sports

I hope you enjoy your visit to Ripon

Peter

1 hour ago, CharlesPeter said:

I work for Historic England and I researched the Ripon camps as part of one of our WW1 programmes

Interesting map and thanks for sharing. I understand that there were moves bout 9 years ago to list some of the remaining WW1 structures, although, a search of listed buildings in Ripon doesn't seem to feature any of the camp. Are you aware of any moves on the listing front as I understand that many of the huts etc are located on or near an area which has been designated for housing.

1 hour ago, CharlesPeter said:

Peter

Thank you. I rather think I might!

PM sent with email address.

Very much appreciated.

• 5 weeks later...

Thanks everyone: safely home.

Map and article very useful and had a very good poke about the area. Even visited the Leeds Pals' memorial (went up to Masham and environs; required all Mrs Broomfield's satnav skills to find it, but well worth the effort).

Ripon itself is a lovely city: excellent pubs and restaurants and the Carlton cinema (we went to see Toy Story 4) is a delight ... 'bijou' being the word. The cathedral, as well as being magnificent, has a lot of Great War memorials. To top it all off, the Royal Oak pub has a loyalty card - get nine stamps (one per drink) and you get a free drink. Took a bit of doing but we managed and actually were given TWO free drinks on our last day. Back of the net.

I have a few pictures on my phone so I will try and shar them later.

If anyone is looking for a UK break which can be GW-themed or just a few nights away, I can't recommend Ripon too highly ... and Fountains Abbey and Studley Royal Water Gardens are less than 10 minutes' away.

Leeds Pals

20190624_114351.jpg

20190624_114405.jpg

I had a week staying at the Choristers' House (National Trust self-catering) last year - in Studley Royal with Fountains in one direction and Ripon in the other.

View from the steps of St Mary's, Studley Royal, through the gate and along to Ripon Cathedral:

0_IMG_20180611_172732.jpg

The memorials in Ripon are indeed excellent. Am I right in recalling that there is also a memorial to Fabian Ware?

9 hours ago, seaJane said:

The memorials in Ripon are indeed excellent. Am I right in recalling that there is also a memorial to Fabian Ware?

Gloucester,  I think. Didn't see one at Ripon.

Saw this, though. On the road to Fountains Abbey,  opposite the turning to Studley Roger and obviously connected to North Camp

20190628_134619.jpg

45 minutes ago, jonbem said:

Where did you dine? I hope you are unaffected Steven!

Diners advised of hepatitis A symptoms after Ripon outbreak

Quite safe, thank you!

8 hours ago, Steven Broomfield said:

Saw this, though. On the road to Fountains Abbey,  opposite the turning to Studley Roger and obviously connected to North Camp

Nice. Thank you!

24 minutes ago, seaJane said:

Nice. Thank you!

Thanks are really due to Mrs B, who kindly didn't complain at being left sitting in the car on the verge (yet again) while I took yet another photo of a war memorial.

When I say 'didn't complain', I should point out that all things are relative.

I too saw this Memorial - and all the other places you mention - a few days ago and was going to post my exact same photo, but you got there first! Ripon is a delightful place and the Dales - further west and north - are delights for your next visit. There are more castles and abbeys and the Himalayan Gardens are heaven. There is also the Green Howards Museum in Richmond.

June 

• 4 weeks later...

Glad you had a great time in Ripon. It looks like you’ve seen most of the war memorials around the area. I am from Ripon and live where the North Camp once stood... I have some old photos of the camp and hospital found in an photo book with some of the Scottish regiments (can’t remenber which on the top of my head). The lady who bought the album (and shared the photos to me when I did some research for her) doesn’t want them sharing around everywhere by everyone but stated I could share them if you want to see them? 

Are there any photos of the 7th Argyll & Sutherland Highlanders, perchance? Looking for an Archibald H.D.O. Richmond.

Thank you.

13 hours ago, D J Brown said:

Glad you had a great time in Ripon. It looks like you’ve seen most of the war memorials around the area. I am from Ripon and live where the North Camp once stood... I have some old photos of the camp and hospital found in an photo book with some of the Scottish regiments (can’t remenber which on the top of my head). The lady who bought the album (and shared the photos to me when I did some research for her) doesn’t want them sharing around everywhere by everyone but stated I could share them if you want to see them? 

Gosh yes!

On 31/07/2019 at 08:42, Steven Broomfield said:

Gosh yes!

As I said the lady who owns the photo album has put copyright on them so please only use for personal use. (The Brown part of the copyright is not me)

I believe the solider who features in all of the photos was called Brown and was from Edinburgh. I think his cap badge is Royal Scots and looking at which Royal Scots were in Ripon in 1915 I think I’ve got it down to two; The 15th (First city of Edinburgh) Battallion (New Army). Raised in Edinburgh in 1914. stationed at Troon, Ripon and Sutton Veny throughout 1915.
The other potential is 16th (Second city of Edinburgh) Battallion (New Army). Raised in December 1914 in Edinburgh and moved to Ripon in June 1915.
Both of these units went to France in January 1916 and were on the front from February 1916. 

E90A9276-1683-458F-BB82-20E3151887C7.jpeg

FAB8C892-66EE-457A-B0E2-31E5697D1545.jpeg

AB9D24A1-2B3C-492E-A244-DBC1A748C525.jpeg

3F5F99C7-F28E-4B8C-B33B-B64C3CA76710.jpeg

6ACA1E8B-41D5-456A-8EB5-424DCD215076.jpeg

Royal Scots for me, for sure. Lovely pictures.

• 3 years later...
On 02/06/2019 at 15:34, CharlesPeter said:

415449231_TNAOSPlanNorthCampRipon1.JPG.4a50add5942c308238e91f85fa42c13b.JPGI work for Historic England and I researched the Ripon camps as part of one of our WW1 programmes. This resulted in our book Legacies of the First World War in which Ripon features - Chapter 2 page 11 - as a composite plan of North and South camps and some images of the remaining buildings of North camp. These are but a fraction of this once huge army base but nevertheless are to the best of my knowledge the largest surviving group of WW1 concrete block constructed accommodation huts still in situ. If you visit Ripon the street you need is Lark Lane on which you will see huts converted to houses and behind these is the Ash Grove Industrial Estate where more exist in commercial use.

I attach the National Archives plan  for North camp with the surviving huts being part of those marked as sub-camp no 12.  I wrote an unpublished note about Ripon as a WW1 camp and this includes images of the place and description of its association with nearby practice trenches and rifle ranges (neither survive as visible remains now but are seen on WW2 period aerial photos). The Canadian war artist David B Milne also painted the camps and his works are available on line. There is also a good archive of photos including many of Ripon available on line in the Kings Own Royal Regiment collection at Lancaster. My note is too large to post here but if you can personal message me your details I may be able to post you a copy.

I note your interest in the Highlanders and there is newsreel footage of highland games at Ripon racecourse http://www.yorkshirefilmarchive.com/film/scenes-ripon-highland-sports

Hello! Peter - I found your post offering more info on Ripon Camp - I am currently researching this as a personal project and would be really grateful of any inisght you might have!  thanks!

On 02/06/2019 at 15:34, CharlesPeter said:

Peter

Hello 

My research was in connection with my then work for Historic England as part of their project to investigate and record the physical legacies of WW1 in England. This culminated in a 2018 book by HE and I wrote the chapter on evidence for the army and its activities.  In this the Ripon camps are referenced and have a page of illustrations (page 11). The book is Legacies of the First World War edited by Wayne Cocroft and Paul Stamper -published by HE  in 2018 and ISBN 978 1 84802 288 1. You should find this book in a good library or still for sale including second hand. The content specific to Ripon is a very small part of it but in 2016 I did write a report internal to HE about the Ripon camps. I no longer work for HE and did not bring all of my documents away with me but I do have a digital copy of the report but not its annexes. The report is too large to post here online but if you PM me with your  email address I can send you a copy (by file transfer).

I have not continued my research into WW1 sites but I have been recently looking at temporary timber barracks of an earlier war, that against Napoleon when in the early 19th C Great Britain had to also urgently house a vastly increased army. The parallels with WW1 are many, right down to the same disposals process after peace was restored.

If you learn more about the Ripon camps I would be pleased to hear about this. I grew up in North Yorkshire and though now resident in the deep south of England I hold a soft spot for this area. 

Peter

6 minutes ago, CharlesPeter said:

Hello 

My research was in connection with my then work for Historic England as part of their project to investigate and record the physical legacies of WW1 in England. This culminated in a 2018 book by HE and I wrote the chapter on evidence for the army and its activities.  In this the Ripon camps are referenced and have a page of illustrations (page 11). The book is Legacies of the First World War edited by Wayne Cocroft and Paul Stamper -published by HE  in 2018 and ISBN 978 1 84802 288 1. You should find this book in a good library or still for sale including second hand. The content specific to Ripon is a very small part of it but in 2016 I did write a report internal to HE about the Ripon camps. I no longer work for HE and did not bring all of my documents away with me but I do have a digital copy of the report but not its annexes. The report is too large to post here online but if you PM me with your  email address I can send you a copy (by file transfer).

I have not continued my research into WW1 sites but I have been recently looking at temporary timber barracks of an earlier war, that against Napoleon when in the early 19th C Great Britain had to also urgently house a vastly increased army. The parallels with WW1 are many, right down to the same disposals process after peace was restored.

If you learn more about the Ripon camps I would be pleased to hear about this. I grew up in North Yorkshire and though now resident in the deep south of England I hold a soft spot for this area. 

Peter

brilliant thank you, my email is james.brunyard@madebyextreme.com - once I have finished my research I would love to share it with you. i will try and source the book too.