Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Military Cross

Ferguson73uk

In researching the War Diary of 41st Brigade, RFA, I have across a reference to a Major Messe..y (the rest is indecipherable), who was awarded the Military Cross on 24th August 1917 whilst with 16th Battery. Does anyone know of a website listing the winners of the Military Cross which I could try in order to decipher the rest of his surname and thereby trace a photograph or further details? My grandfather was with this battery so it's of personal interest.

Thanks!

Jonathan

In researching the War Diary of 41st Brigade, RFA, I have across a reference to a Major Messe..y (the rest is indecipherable), who was awarded the Military Cross on 24th August 1917 whilst with 16th Battery. Does anyone know of a website listing the winners of the Military Cross which I could try in order to decipher the rest of his surname and thereby trace a photograph or further details? My grandfather was with this battery so it's of personal interest.

Thanks!

Jonathan

Your best bet is to search the MiC site using a Wild "*" after Messe* which should find him then you can search the LG Online for his MC,I have an MC to an Acting Major[Former S.Sjt;M.} A.E.J.Wright,who also served with this Battery!

Awards of A/Maj;A.E.J.Wright,MC;RHA/RFA.

post-23-1107101980.jpg

Would you believe I've just been reading about A. E. J. Wright in my copy of the War Diary! On the 20th October 1917, Captain A. E. J. Wright of 16th Battery was wounded at St Julien during the German heavy retaliation to an on-going 48 hr. bombardment by 41st Brigade's guns. I don't suppose you have a picture or any information about him?

I'll try the MIC now.

Regards,

Jonathan

Would you believe I've just been reading about A. E. J. Wright in my copy of the War Diary! On the 20th October 1917, Captain A. E. J. Wright of 16th Battery was wounded at St Julien during the German heavy retaliation to an on-going 48 hr. bombardment by 41st Brigade's guns. I don't suppose you have a picture or any information about him?

I'll try the MIC now.

Regards,

Jonathan

Kismet!Hi I do!! I will post details & Pic I have found your Messe* I believe it to be either Gerald Messervy or Frederick Gordon Messervy both Majors RFA{Though Fredrick was RGA Initially} Gazettes on line is not working properly @ present though there are 24 Entries for Messervy WW1!!

I would appreciate p/Copies of Diary of Wright if you can,I'll PM my Address Proper,& Post His Picture!Many thanks regards Roger.

Major A.E.J.Wright MC as 5579 Bombardier Roughrider Instuctor*/Gun Layer[see Sleeve Badges],RHA wearing his QSA with an MP Bombardier who holds the IGS 1895!

*Many thanks to Hon;Langleybaston for that information,much appreciated

post-23-1107099391.jpg

No problem! I'll gladly send you a photocopy of the entry on AEJ Wright. I'm working my way through 1917 and 1918 at present and will look out for any other references to him. (I noticed that the LG was not working properly - thought it was me!)

Regards,

Jonathan

Acting Major;A.E.J.Wright MC,RHA/RFA.

Born:27th September 1880

Served in the Ranks for 15 Years 101 Days,Including Service as a Driver in the South African War 1899~1902 with "J" Battery RHA.[Cape Colony,Orange Free State,Transvaal & South Africa 1902, Clasps & QSA Medal;

Sergeant in 1914 To France 15th August 1914 {An early bird!} with 3rd Brigade RHA{D or E Battery}Commissioned 26th June 1915 {Effective 8th June 1915} to RFA.[2/Lt:8.6.15;Act Captn;26.08.16~13.03.18;Lieut.1.07.17;Act Maj;14.03.18~22.0518;Act Capt.23.05.18~9.10.18;Act Maj.10.10.18.]

Mentioned in Despatches.18th May 1917{Haig} & 21st May 1918 {Haig}

Awarded the Military Cross LG 1st January 1919{So unfortunately there is No Citation,}

Arthur Edward James Wright MC,RHA RFA

post-23-1107099103.jpg

He is a qualified roughrider: the badge is the coveted spur, not the driver's badge at all. Roughriders enjoyed huge prestige, being the trainers of men and horses. I think a bombardier with the badge was technically a Bombardier Roughrider Instructor.

MUCH better than a driver!

He is a qualified roughrider: the badge is the coveted spur, not the driver's badge at all. Roughriders enjoyed huge prestige, being the trainers of men and horses. I think a bombardier with the badge was technically a Bombardier Roughrider Instructor.

MUCH better than a driver!

Many thanks! I'm always ready to learn..........as you say So much better than a Driver![Which he was in South Africa]

The original question:

a site that lists MC award winners

I have searched before and could not find such a list, so I too am most interested.

There is an MC on my site for my grandfather as well:

http://www.censol.ca/research/greatwar/mem...memorabilia.htm

I was able to track it back to the London Gazette but the records in the UK do not match the records here in Canada. I contacted the LG but they never answered.

Hope someone knows where there is a full listing, perhaps with details.

Richard of Canada

Jonathan wrote:

n researching the War Diary of 41st Brigade, RFA, I have across a reference to a Major Messe..y (the rest is indecipherable), who was awarded the Military Cross on 24th August 1917 whilst with 16th Battery. Does anyone know of a website listing the winners of the Military Cross which I could try in order to decipher the rest of his surname and thereby trace a photograph or further details?

Your man is Major Gerald Messervy, RFA

His MC was gazetted in the London Gazette of 26 Sep 17 and the citation was published in the London Gazette of 9 Jan 18.

He was the son of E F Messervy of Telawakelle, Ceylon

Educated at Eton School and at the Royal Military Academy, Woolwich

Commissioned as a 2nd Lieut, RFA in 1912

Promoted to Lieut, RFA in 1915 and to Captain in 1916, and Acting Major in 1917

Commanded 16 Battery, 41 Brigade, RFA

Once mentioned in despatches

Killed in action near Romilly on 9 Oct 1918

Sources: Etonians who fought in the Great War; Eton School Register, 1899-1900; History of the Second Division 1914-1918

Regards. Dick

Thanks, Dick. I can add that he was killed riding to Brigade HQ from his section by shellfire. He was buried on the 9th October in Noyelles churchyard. Don't suppose anyone out there has a picture of him?

Thanks again.

Jonathan

Wonder if he's a relation to Lt Gen Sir Frank Messervy, of WW2 Western Desert and Far East fame? I worked with a relation of his until recently.

Whilst I was searching for MCs to the Royal Irish Fusiliers I came across this site, it contains the details of Men and officers whose obituaries you can order, interesting to note that the index contains details of MC recipients. May be of help

Great War Index