Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

How to remove medal clasp

BIFFO

I have a 14 star with clasp,the ribbon is really dirty,I would like to remove the clasp and gently clean the ribbon,I have attempted to remove it with a small screwdriver,but it isnt moving,the clasp fixing is a bit like the "gripper"clasp on a set of braces  these you pull up and the front of the clasp frees,I thought the medal clasp was similar but it isn't 

Be very careful if it is the original watered silk ribbon, the slightest amount of moisture could ruin it.

regards,

Derek

Derek

it is original silk,I do not polish my medals but the ribbon is original silk and very grubby,I have in the past successfully  rinsed a ribbon in between a tea towel 

Depaor01,

by the look of the sides of the clasp its similar to braces "catch" where you lift up to free,,they deffo are not stitched on.

If I cannot get it off I will rinse the medal with clasp attached making sure I dont dip the medal :w00t:

1 hour ago, BIFFO said:

they deffo are not stitched on.

Interesting.  I thought they were all the same construction. 

Dave

The BMF has a thread on right and wrong ones, can't seem to remember crocodile clip ones, only size of holes and positions along with casting defects.

Will go ahead and gentle wash,

repeat after me our father who ++++++;)