Great War Forum

Remembered Today:

Skipman

Drill Halls on NLS Maps (can we find)

brianmorris547
Posted (edited)

This Drill Hall on Seymour Grove, Old Trafford, Manchester was, I believe, the HQ of the East Lancashire Div RE (T). It was on the site of Portcullis House which in the 1970s and 80s housed the HMC&E VAT Office.

https://maps.nls.uk/view/126522854

EDIT: Halfway down on the far right. NB Old Trafford Football Ground prominent on the map.

Edited by brianmorris547
additional info

Ron Clifton

In 1914 the Drill Hall of 11th (Finsbury Battalion, London Regiment, was in Penton Street, Islington. It was moved a short distance to the north side of Pentonville Road by the 1970s when I worked a few doors away, but last time I was in the area it seemed to have vanished under redevelopment.

Ron

Skipman
4 hours ago, Ron Clifton said:

In 1914 the Drill Hall of 11th (Finsbury Battalion, London Regiment, was in Penton Street, Islington. It was moved a short distance to the north side of Pentonville Road by the 1970s when I worked a few doors away, but last time I was in the area it seemed to have vanished under redevelopment.

Ron

It's on this map Ron. Click

Mike

steandpaula
scotchegg75
On 30/05/2019 at 15:49, Skipman said:

233rd Kent Battery R.F.A. Drill Hall   was in Liverpool Street, Dover. Not marked on map. It might be where the T.A. Centre is on the 1949-1968 Map?

Mike

Not quite, the larger of the two buildings was a skating rink used as an RNAS hangar - the longer building to the left is the drill hall

Skipman
8 minutes ago, scotchegg75 said:

Not quite, the larger of the two buildings was a skating rink used as an RNAS hangar - the longer building to the left is the drill hall

:thumbsup:

mike

Skipman

Excellent Jim, some interesting ones there.

Mike

jlang

Agree! The Achiltibuie one is a school of piping with a café and an adjacent rifle range. It also has a memorial plaque.  The café was good when we have visited over the last few years.

I looked further into the Achiltibuie entry and got this  https://canmore.org.uk/event/961072.  Another treasure trove!

Jim