Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Drill Halls on NLS Maps (can we find)

Skipman

I'm not sure how far afield you want to go:

This is the HQ of 7 (Blythswood) HLI:

https://maps.nls.uk/view/82891803

(I think I must have seen it; though It didn't register at the time.)

I know of quite a lot more.

RM

Edited by rolt968

Hi RM Personally, I don't really need many, I found the Sun Street one by accident really and thought it might be of interest to others. This thread maybe a place where other like yourself can post any they find and make them available to others. If you ever have a spare minute please feel free to post them, but don't go out of your way.

Cheers Mike

Edited by Skipman

I used Keith's link to find the two TF Drill Halls in Bolton. The 3rd East Lancs Brigade RFA (T) at Silverwell St and the 5th Loyals at Flatcher St. These images are from the Old Ordnance Survey map of Bolton 1908.

Brian 

001 (2).JPG

002 (2).JPG

Have you seen this? file:///C:/Users/Mike/Downloads/DrillHalls_ANationalOverview.pdf.
There's loads of stuff online. E.g. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/High_West_Street_drill_hall,_Dorchester.

Perhaps this isn't what you're getting at.

Acknown

Edited by Acknown
Removed map

Two for the price of one in Bradford. 1 is Belle Vue Barracks where the 6th West Yorks (Bradford Rifles) were based. 2 is Valley Parade the home of the volunteer artillery and later West Riding RFA. It is also where the Bradford Pals had their recruiting office. You can also see the home of Bradford City FC

bradford drill halls.PNG

Portland, Dorset

Acknown

Edited by Acknown
Removed map

Bradford

If you input "Drill Hall" it brings up a list of "Drill Hall Lane" Drill Hall Street" etc which occasionally takes you straight to a drill hall, (as in the case with Bradford),  or possibly gives a clue to where there once was one.

Mike

1 hour ago, Skipman said:

which occasionally takes you straight to a drill hall, (as in the case with Bradford), 

In this case the street was called Drill Parade and was opposite Valley Parade where there was a 2nd drill hall.

The Drill Hall in Keighley is still used by the Territorial Army

drill hall keighley.PNG

242 West George Street Drill Hall, Glasgow (1st Lanark Rifle Volunteers)

Coplaw Street Drill Hall, Glasgow (Third Lanark Rifles)

Greendyke Street Drill Hall, Glasgow

Hill Street Drill Hall, Glasgow

Jardine Street Drill Hall, Glasgow

Kelvingrove, Glasgow

242 West George Street Drill Hall, Glasgow (1st Lanark Rifle Volunteers) Not marked but was at this address.

Mike

Edited by Skipman

10 minutes ago, Acknown said:

Have you seen this website? http://www.drillhalls.org

Acknown

Thanks for that. Haven't actually seen that but was aware there was a thread somewhere on the drill halls. I might contact them and see if this is useful to them. When I'm bored will return to this and add as  I find. Anyone else feel free to do same. There' s obviously hundreds of them.

Cheers Mike

16 minutes ago, Acknown said:

Have you seen this website? http://www.drillhalls.org

Acknown

Yes, I have.

A principal initial source for the data was Kelly's Directories. Having found addresses, we have triangulated virtually all of our locations on old-maps.co.uk We haven't reproduced the map extracts on our website because of copyright concerns.

3 minutes ago, Dragon said:

Yes, I have.

A principal initial source for the data was Kelly's Directories. Having found addresses, we have triangulated virtually all of our locations on old-maps.co.uk We haven't reproduced the map extracts on our website because of copyright concerns.

Thanks Dragon. Couple of points. Is there much point in anyone adding more here if you and colleagues have done all this elsewhere. I'm happy to add some from time to time and can use the above site to check. Or do you think it's pretty much a waste of time (which is fine) I would rather not go over old ground. If it's worthwhile, do you reckon posting links to the page/maps would get round any copyright image issues?

Cheers Mike

I think it's always interesting to look at old maps for their own sake. I triangulate text reference + old map + Google street view to find whether premises are extant. If they are, and if I'm going to the place, I take photos. I'm certain Graeme does something similar. Over the past couple of years, he's been spending a lot more time on the project than I have for various reasons and I know he's made use of old maps.

I haven't used the National Library of Scotland site so I don't know what their position is on copying extracts of maps.

If people want to post links to maps, then who am I to say they shouldn't? I don't own the subject. You never know whether the links will be useful or help someone's quest. I should think that you drawing attention to the facility as a tool will be useful.

I haven't got time or inclination to revisit all the entries on the website to add links, though. The site is due to be modernised and updated when we have time.

Gwyn

Edited by Dragon