Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Returned World War I medals?

Rick Back

Hi,

spent the day at the National Archives yesterday trying to find out about my great uncle - George Henry Back- killed in the morning on the first day of the Somme with the 12th Batallion The Rangers. It looks like his family sent back his medals. Are these stored? Would I be able to ask for them?

Also is there a record of where his 'death penny' would have been sent?

At present our family have no artefacts associated with George to help honour his memory.

rick

His MIC does say returned.

Shown here

His medal roll mentions the date 1923.

More knowledgable people will say if you can request them from the MoD.

It all seems a bit vague.  The form above states that medals awarded prior to World War Two can no longer be issued and there's no indication anywhere that this stipulation does not apply to medals that were issued but subsequently returned.

I called the MoD Medal Office a few months back to ask about claiming a great-uncle's medals that had been similarly returned and the work experience type who took my call (I'm being charitable - he surely can't have been a permanent employee) immediately transferred me to the National Archives.  They, of course, politely explained that claiming medals was absolutely nothing to do with them, but I knew that, even if the Medal Office apparently doesn't.   

Edited by Tom Kilkenny

• Admin
Just now, Tom Kilkenny said:

It all seems a bit vague.  The form above states that medals awarded prior to World War Two can no longer be issued and there's no indication anywhere that does not apply to medals that were issued but then returned.

I called the MoD Medal Office a few months back to ask about claiming a great-uncle's medals that had been similarly returned and the work experience type who took my call (I'm being charitable - he surely can't have been a permanent employee) immediately transferred me to the National Archives.  They, of course, politely explained that claiming medals was absolutely nothing to do with them, but I knew that, even if the Medal Office apparently doesn't.   

Tom

Fill the form in for the WW1 medals and send it in. Others have had success doing so. 

Good luck

David

Hi,

Here is the topic re the issue of “returned medals”.

I’ve had a quick look at the MIC link above and my reading of the endorsement is that the medals were returned “for adjustment” - amend an error - so they would have been sent back out to the recipient -  rather than there being an inability to get them to the rightful recipient in the first place.

Steve

21 minutes ago, tullybrone said:

Hi,

Here is the topic re the issue of “returned medals”.

I’ve had a quick look at the MIC link above and my reading of the endorsement is that the medals were returned “for adjustment” - amend an error - so they would have been sent back out to the recipient -  rather than there being an inability to get them to the rightful recipient in the first place.

Steve

Ah yes. Kings Regulation 1743 refers to that. But!

See a message in this link......

https://www.ancestry.co.uk/boards/topics.Military.uk.britarmy/2031.1.1.2.1.1.1/mb.ashx

The notation “Retd (1743 K.R. 1912) 8029/Adt” refers to Kings Regulations (1912) Para 1743 and its amendment, indicating that the medals were returned to the issuing office because of a problem with their delivery rather than them being returned due to an inscription error.

HI

I disagree with adt meaning adjustment, as noted above there was a problem with delivering them.

I had the same issue with my Grandfather's medals.

I applied to MOD as above with all the paperwork from MIC and rolls and they issued and sent me his medals.

You can only try.

regards

Robert

59 minutes ago, wandererpaul said:

Ah yes. Kings Regulation 1743 refers to that. But!

See a message in this link......

https://www.ancestry.co.uk/boards/topics.Military.uk.britarmy/2031.1.1.2.1.1.1/mb.ashx

The notation “Retd (1743 K.R. 1912) 8029/Adt” refers to Kings Regulations (1912) Para 1743 and its amendment, indicating that the medals were returned to the issuing office because of a problem with their delivery rather than them being returned due to an inscription error.

55 minutes ago, rksimpson said:

HI

I disagree with adt meaning adjustment, as noted above there was a problem with delivering them.

I had the same issue with my Grandfather's medals.

I applied to MOD as above with all the paperwork from MIC and rolls and they issued and sent me his medals.

You can only try.

regards

Robert

Hi,

Thanks to you both for the clarification/correction.

Steve

The adt thing comes up time and time again. Audit is another possibility ie (file/list?) 7956 had to be audited to show the medal had returned to the medal office.

Or that 7956 had to be adjusted or have an amendment.

Just to confuse things, medals that were returned for a name/number correction may also use the adt thing but normally the correction to name/number is annotated.

TEW

• 4 weeks later...

Hi,

just to say on Thursday I got an email from the MoD saying that my Great Uncle's medals were ready for dispatch.

I did include the medal roll information saying his medals were returned.

So big thanks to you guys. It is going to be a tearful day when I see these returned to his family.

Now how do I find his death penny?

Rick

• 3 weeks later...

I have 2 MIC's to my Grandfather. Not strictly Great War as his active service was in Waziristan. There are 2 issues I'm interested in here from the MIC's:

1. Whats is the significance of 2 Service numbers - can we tell anything from them

2. The medal - India GS was returned and "scrapped" - why?

Thank in advance for assistance.

Chris

W.Collier.JPG

W.Collyer.JPG

Edited by ChrisC
photographs

41 minutes ago, ChrisC said:

I have 2 MIC's to my Grandfather. Not strictly Great War as his active service was in Waziristan. There are 2 issues I'm interested in here from the MIC's:

1. Whats is the significance of 2 Service numbers - can we tell anything from them

2. The medal - India GS was returned and "scrapped" - why?

Thank in advance for assistance.

Chris

W.Collier.JPG

W.Collyer.JPG

Hello Chris, 

Re two service numbers, the 7 digit number is a post 1920 renumbering one, and the other his number before. 

Re scrapping the medal, two MICs for the same man, he returned the incorrectly named one and was subsequently scrapped, is my best guess'timate. 

Andy 

Thank you Andy.

C

• 4 years later...

It is a bit of an old thread this one, but thanks to it we managed to get my Great Uncle's Medals reissued. His medal card had them listed as being returned, so got my Dad to request them using the form around summertime 2023 and got them just delivered last weekend (Nov 2023).

One thing, He enlisted in the Seaforth Highlanders around 1917 and on reaching France transferred to the 10th Argyll and Sutherland Highlanders in March 1918. He was killed at Herleville on 23 August 1918. His medals are stamped with the Seaforth's and that Reg No. rather than the A&SH who he was in at the time of his death. Were medals issued with the Enlistement Regiment? I have had a look at a few others on ebay and they have so far followed that to some extent.