Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Phew Fever

tim.jaxon

Reseaching my Gt Grandfather (Ernest Jackson, Royal Sussex, SN 2156) I can see from WW1 Medical records that he was admitted to 2nd Gen Hospital in Feb 1915. The Disease classification appears to read 'Phew Fever' can anyone please shed some light on what 'Phew Fever' was?  Thank you.

It would help if you posted the text, but could it be phthisis - another word for pulmonary TB?

Dave

10 minutes ago, Dai Bach y Sowldiwr said:

Can you give some context?

Where was he?

Please post the entry or a link to it.

This the entry on question by the looks of it  - https://search.findmypast.co.uk/record?id=S2/GBM/MH106/MH106-884/0006&parentid=GBM/MH106/P2/787540

i wonder if it's Rheu. Fever as an abbreviation for Rheumatic Fever.

Craig

Thanks Craig, unfortunately only have Ancestry not FMP 

Rheumatic Fever sounds a bit more plausible!

Thank you, all. That makes sense. The record notes that he was then transferred to Convalescent Camp - would that have been back in England or local to the Hospital? Thank you again for all your expert help

Tim

• Admin
33 minutes ago, tim.jaxon said:

Thank you, all. That makes sense. The record notes that he was then transferred to Convalescent Camp - would that have been back in England or local to the Hospital? Thank you again for all your expert help

Tim

Almost certainly France, probably No 6 Base Convalescent Camp Rouen. There were a number of Convalescent Camps behind the lines and loosely attached to the Base Hospitals. (You will note the Register shows men who were repatriated were shown as ‘H.S......’ i.e. Hospital Ship.)

Ken