Great War Forum

Remembered Today:

Sign in to follow this  
pudsey63

Mesopotamia question

pudsey63

Can anyone tell me, or point me to a book that would tell me, how much the British administration knew about the treatment of POWs from the fall of Kut until the end of the war, while events were unfolding in the period up to the revolt of 1920? Did the army uncover evidence as they advanced or was it after the return of the survivors that the full horror was understood? For example, did the Political Officers in 1920 know the details of what had gone before?

Just trying to get a better handle on the events.

seaJane

I think Ronald Millar's Kut: the Death of an army (Secker & Warburg, 1969) may have something on this, likewise Russell Braddon's The Siege (Jonathan Cape, 1969).

Patrick Crowley's Kut 1916: courage and failure in Iraq (Spellmount, 2019) is another probability.

pudsey63

Thanks seaJane. I’ll see what I can find.

Maureene

Online report

Miscellaneous No. 24 (1918): Report on the Treatment of British Prisoners of War in Turkey. Presented to Parliament November 1918. HMSO 1918 IOR/L/MIL/7/18737 British Library. Alternative version: Universitäts- und Landesbibliothek Sachsen-Anhalt

There are other digitised documents linked from the FIBIS Fibiwiki page Prisoners of the Turks (First World War), section Historical books online

https://wiki.fibis.org/w/Prisoners_of_the_Turks_(First_World_War)

Cheers

Maureen

pudsey63

Thank you Maureene. Lots to read there.