Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Soldiers name erroneously added to war memorial before he died !

RaySearching

The following soldier listed on the memorial roll of the fallen 

with the Canadian Expeditionary Force

although he did not die until 1924

reminds me of Mark Twain's quip  "The reports of my death are greatly exaggerated"

Here is my write up

SWALWELL ISAAC

Private ISAAC SWALWELL

703572 102 Battalion Canadian Expeditionary Force

Isaac emigrated to Canada sometime in late 1911  (he is listed on the 1921 population census  in British Columbia as having arrived in Canada in 1911) he can be found on the 1911 England census aboard the steamship Euterpe in Alexandra Dock Newport Monmouthshire employed as a steward

Isaac enlisted on the 3rd February 1916 at Prince Rupert British Columbia Canada giving his date of birth as April 20th 1878 born Middlesbrough, (Isaac was born at 50 Garbutt Street Midlesbrough) his occupation as a cook and his next of kin as Mrs I Swallwell (mother) of 45 Birks Street Middlesbrough later of 33 Station Street Middlesbrough

Isaac was the son of Isabella Swalwell (nee Denney) and the late John Swalwell

With the C.E.F Isaac embarked for England on the 20th June 1916 proceeding to France on the 11th August 1916, he was wounded in action on the Somme on the 11th November 1916 (GSW right eye),

On the 21st November 1916 he was admitted to No 4 General Hospital in Camiers treated for his wounds and evacuated to England for treatment he was returned to Canada and was discharged from service on the 12th August 1918 as no longer fit for military service (blind in right eye)

The Canadian death records indicate that he died in Prince Rupert British Columbia in 1924

The anomaly being that Middlesbrough war memorial where he is commemorated was unveiled on the 11th November 1921 which indicates that his name was added to the nominal roll of the fallen for inclusion on the war memorial erroneously before he had died !

Whilst commemorated on Middlesbrough war memorial he is not commemorated on the CWGC register as his death after the cessation of hostilities fell outside the cut of date for inclusion on the register, and his death even if it had occurred earlier, (after being discharged from service) would not have been considered to be due to or attributed to his war service, which would have excluded his name from being added to the CWGC register

Born Middlesbrough enlisted British Columbia Canada

FAIRVIEW CEMETERY (PRINCE RUPERT BRITISH COLUMBIA)

836751500_SwalwellIsaac.FairviewCemetertB.CCanada.jpg.19d76496064dd7cc09be3280a4f32290.jpg

Image source find a grave

306161890_SwalwellMWP.JPG.76a0882002682221c7711cbfd4fd49ed.JPG

erm  on to the next one

Regards Ray

2 hours ago, RaySearching said:

The following soldier listed on the memorial roll of the fallen 

with the Canadian Expeditionary Force

although he did not die until 1924

reminds me of Mark Twain's quip  "The reports of my death are greatly exaggerated"

Here is my write up

SWALWELL ISAAC

Private ISAAC SWALWELL

703572 102 Battalion Canadian Expeditionary Force

Isaac emigrated to Canada sometime in late 1911  (he is listed on the 1921 population census  in British Columbia as having arrived in Canada in 1911) he can be found on the 1911 England census aboard the steamship Euterpe in Alexandra Dock Newport Monmouthshire employed as a steward

Isaac enlisted on the 3rd February 1916 at Prince Rupert British Columbia Canada giving his date of birth as April 20th 1878 born Middlesbrough, (Isaac was born at 50 Garbutt Street Midlesbrough) his occupation as a cook and his next of kin as Mrs I Swallwell (mother) of 45 Birks Street Middlesbrough later of 33 Station Street Middlesbrough

Isaac was the son of Isabella Swalwell (nee Denney) and the late John Swalwell

With the C.E.F Isaac embarked for England on the 20th June 1916 proceeding to France on the 11th August 1916, he was wounded in action on the Somme on the 11th November 1916 (GSW right eye),

On the 21st November 1916 he was admitted to No 4 General Hospital in Camiers treated for his wounds and evacuated to England for treatment he was returned to Canada and was discharged from service on the 12th August 1918 as no longer fit for military service (blind in right eye)

The Canadian death records indicate that he died in Prince Rupert British Columbia in 1924

The anomaly being that Middlesbrough war memorial where he is commemorated was unveiled on the 11th November 1921 which indicates that his name was added to the nominal roll of the fallen for inclusion on the war memorial erroneously before he had died !

Whilst commemorated on Middlesbrough war memorial he is not commemorated on the CWGC register as his death after the cessation of hostilities fell outside the cut of date for inclusion on the register, and his death even if it had occurred earlier, (after being discharged from service) would not have been considered to be due to or attributed to his war service, which would have excluded his name from being added to the CWGC register

Born Middlesbrough enlisted British Columbia Canada

FAIRVIEW CEMETERY (PRINCE RUPERT BRITISH COLUMBIA)

836751500_SwalwellIsaac.FairviewCemetertB.CCanada.jpg.19d76496064dd7cc09be3280a4f32290.jpg

Image source find a grave

306161890_SwalwellMWP.JPG.76a0882002682221c7711cbfd4fd49ed.JPG

erm  on to the next one

Regards Ray

Join the club. I have identified 4 men on our local War Memorials who did not die, they lived a long life after the war was over. I put a lot of the mistakes down to reporting errors in our local chip wrappers & those reporters expecting other people to be able to read their shorthand.

I also have one recorded twice, as  D. & R.  Dick & Richard.

Here is his Service Record for those that have not seen it: 

http://central.bac-lac.gc.ca/.item/?op=pdf&app=CEF&id=B9450-S008

Note the difference in the spelling on the gravestone versus the memorial. The correct version appears to be Isaac Swalwell #703572

On 7 July 1917 his Medical Class was stated as B.2, as he was blind in right eye (glass eye). That class allows non-combatant service overseas. He had 2 operations to try and enlarge the eye orbit for a glass eye, but had to wear a patch instead. He was a lucky man, as the bullet entered the outer side of the orbit and destroyed the eye. A few mmm different and it destroys the brain! It appears nobody wanted him for B.2 employment in England, other than as a cook (his profession prior to enlistment), so they sent him home. Otherwise, he appeared healthy. His medical class was changed in  Canada to D.3 after two more operations on his eye, then finally Class E and discharged. Had 11 operations in total.

His Veterans Death Card states that he died of a cerebral embolism and acute rheumatism on 2 March 1924, not related to service. The common cause of a cerebral embolism is atrial fibrillation of the heart, resulting in a blood clot that travels to the brain. Probably undetected and not generally treated in the 1920s.

aiubv5f2vjhnevb6g.jpg

Edited by laughton
corrected typo - see below SWALWELL

Richard

Thanks for the exact date of death, and the cause much appreciated

I have updated my records accordingly

2 hours ago, laughton said:

Note the difference in the spelling on the gravestone versus the memorial. The correct version appears to be Isaac Swalell #703572

I assume the above is a typo 

Retlaw thanks for the reply

Regards Ray