Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Died 1923, where is he buried?

Dazscuba

Hi looking at 74822 C/ Sgt 74822 Edgar Evans Liverpool Reg then CQMSM of 85th Labour Company before being pensioned out.

on his pension card he lived in Swansea and died 22/3/1923 also on same card shows 22/11/23

born 1879

checked CWGC, Find a grave and Billion Graves and cannot see a grave.

Any idea on to find out where he is buried please?

Edited by Dazscuba

Too late for CWGC. (August 1921 cut off date?)

It depends if he was buried. He may have been cremated.

Paul never even thought of that.

have looked through BNA but I believe that most Welsh papers are not on there.

i do know that people have been added to CWGC even up to 1999 as I have seen them this weekend in Scarborough but do not know what the criteria is/was

Thanks Alf McM will take a look tomorrow 

The records available on findmypast include a Glamorganshire Burials Index and also a Glamorganshire Monumental Inscriptions Index; unfortunately neither include your man Edgar Evans (died 1923). 

Hi All

Previous service numbers 50402 LCSC and 26941 Welsh Regt.Disch. 2.1.19 enlisted 19.7 (?) 15. LC List 2719. ..looking

Regards Barry

The crematorium at Swansea opened in 1956. The principal cemetery there is Danygraig. Morriston is also a possibility.

You could try contacting the cemetery office at Swansea City Council. 

Bernard

There is a site with Welsh newspapers online, try Googling those three words.  Not sure about the dates covered.

d

The Welsh Newspaper site only goes up to 1919

I cannot find any record on Ancestry of a death for an Edgar Evans born 1879 and died 1923.

Closest seems to be Edgar G Evans born abt 1870, died Jan 1922, registered in Gower (which is near Swansea).

Martin

I have done a general search of the UK in deceasedonline for Edgar Evans and 1923 and it returned nothing. deceasedonline does not by any means cover all of the UK, but it eliminates some more possibles. (Just in case I will try the usual miss-transcriptions.)

RM

Thanks everybody, I can see that there is a number of possible dates (red arrows) 

can anybody tell me what all the written info is and if there is an exact date of death on there?

Also how can I do a address check on Ancestry

Fold3

28C7D4CA-5CCF-4E3C-BF8D-857DD5F8B223.jpeg.1de71b527863ea3a28d5382557fdf975.jpeg

Edited by Dazscuba

Looks like died 16 April 1923 to me. As he was living in Mumbles, near Swansea, there is a GOOD chance that he was buried in the Swansea Council run Oystermouth cemetery. 

There is a chance, of course, that if he was a church or chapel attendee, he might be buried in an attached cemetery, reserved for adherents of his religious persuasion. Harder to track down...

With a bit of luck, if you telephone 01792 636000 and ask for the cemetery office then, as you have the date, (4/23) they might kindly look in the Oystermouth cemetery burial index to see if he's there...

Bernard

In the 1911 Census, a David W Evans was living at 3 Clements Row Mumbles Oystermouth Glamorganshire.

David W Evans Head Single Male 47 1864 Gardener Domestic Mumbles

also, on another sheet, a; Sarah Goosman Head Married Female 51 1860 Private Means - is also noted....

At present, no return found for a 99 Oxford Street.

Edited by wandererpaul

Bernard, Paul thanks for the info appriciated 

I was trying to find out what is the connection between David William Evans (living at 3 Clements Row Mumbles) and Edgar Evans. Unfortunately, they aren't brothers, looking at the censuses from 1861 to 1911. I wonder if David was an Uncle to Edgar? It seems that, following the census records, David W Evans lived in Clements Row from birth (1891 Census here) to at least 1911. Longer if you include the Pension Record referred too.

I cannot connect the two though.

**Edit**

It looks like they could be cousins. There's an Edgar Evans whose Father was George Evans (b 1831). George Evans had a brother, David Evans (b. 1834) who, imo, had a son named David William Evans. That may be the connection........???

Although, there seem to be many Evans' in Wales. ;) 

Edited by wandererpaul

Paul the above is great thanks very informative. 

I will do more digging with his family now I have somewhere to go

D

Hi All

I agree with Wandererpaul, 

Can anyone bring up any more details on his previous service with the Welsh Regt as 26941? as per the Silver War Badge Roll. (B76722), If he enlisted in 1915 then did he have previous service to this to attain the rank of CQMS ?..looking......seems to point to :-

George Evans b. 29.6.1828 d. 15.11.1900 probate to wife Fanny nee Baldwin. looks like they are Edgar's parents. His first wife was Elizabeth Baldwin b.9.2.1843. d Oct, 1866. He then married her sister Fanny 7.6.1867. Swansea.Fanny b.26.8.1852. d. 29.3.1935. In 1911 Edgar Evans is a Police Constable  @ Cruleas Police Station, Swansea.    Try birth cert. 11a,606,  Swansea, 1st qtr 1880.   BUT there are a lot of people named Evans in Wales.!!

Regards Barry

ANCESTRY ! CRULEAS POLICE STATION SHOULD READ CENTRAL POLICE STATION, ORCHARD STREET, SWANSEA.

Edited by The Inspector

Hi All

The 1911 census for 99 Oxford Street shows a Mrs Margery (Rachel) Morris, 50 yrs with her granddaughter Gladys, aged 8 yrs and a lodger , Richard Barnhouse Phillips. Looks like she was born Margery Barron, can't find any connection to Edgar Evans. Margery's elder son  Sir Herbert Edward Morris was the 7th Baronet . d.15.8.1947.

Margery Morris's husband Herbert b.1858, Bruges, Belgium, had previous for bigamy. !....looking...... Both he and Richard Barnhouse Phillips lived "on their own means" and did time for "Debt". Perhaps Edgar, if he was a Police Constable (1911 census, Central Police Station, Orchard St., Swansea) and was living with Richard Barnhouse Phillips, had to move out as he would have been associating with a "criminal". .......still looking....South Wales Police Archives ?? May be barking up the wrong tree but in the absence of anything further then......

There is a Memorial at Swansea Central Police Station with the names of 10 men from the Borough Force who died during the War some on the 1911 census. On the web site:-

https://www.iwm.org.uk/memorials/item/memorial/6629,

it states that a further 10 men served and survived and are commemorated  but doesn't give their names on the site. Worth a phone call.

Regards Barry

Edited by The Inspector

Very thorough Barry thanks a lot 

Swansea has a famous Edgar Evans - he died with Scott at the South Pole.

This might be your man? 

http://www1.swansea.gov.uk/calmview/Record.aspx?src=CalmView.Catalog&id=DD+Con+S%2f9%2f677&pos=8

I'd look at the file for you (I'm only 11 miles from the Archive) but I'm up to my neck in grandkids at present and am shortly going abroad.

PM me if you'd like me to look at the file. But it would be late June at the earliest. No PM = I'll forget to look when next in the archive! 😂

Bernard

Hi Bernard and all,

Looking good, fingers crossed. Edgar Evans b.1879 as posted was baptised 1883 St.Mary, Swansea (FMP I don't subscribe) His parents George and Fanny.

Barry

Edited by The Inspector

On 30/05/2019 at 14:28, Bernard_Lewis said:

Swansea has a famous Edgar Evans - he died with Scott at the South Pole.

This might be your man? 

http://www1.swansea.gov.uk/calmview/Record.aspx?src=CalmView.Catalog&id=DD+Con+S%2f9%2f677&pos=8

I'd look at the file for you (I'm only 11 miles from the Archive) but I'm up to my neck in grandkids at present and am shortly going abroad.

PM me if you'd like me to look at the file. But it would be late June at the earliest. No PM = I'll forget to look when next in the archive! 😂

Bernard

Hi All

Looking at the above archives, " 677... Edgar Evans, (D of B ?) Police No FPR17 Resigned  War reserve n.d". (no details?)

Barry