Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Death Plaques on ebay

mandy hall

Why would you list death plaques on eBay like this, just a photograph of the back and in the description, name details to be added soon?  I look at the newly listed plaques every day, just to see if a local name jumps out at me, or my great uncle’s turns up.

Mandy

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/WW1-DEATH-PLAQUE-A/163706205196?hash=item261da6740c:g:BKIAAOSw9tlbzdzA

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/WW1-DEATH-PLAQUE-B/163706213576?hash=item261da694c8:g:BKIAAOSw9tlbzdzA

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/WW1-DEATH-PLAQUE/163706200315?hash=item261da660fb:g:BKIAAOSw9tlbzdzA

It is beyond me too--I think that these have been listed for around a week now and still have had no names added!!

This is I believe Mandy, one of those situations whereby the seller has been offered cheap fees by Ebay if listed by a certain time/date, so whacked them on quickly using a stock photo. I have a number of auto-searches set up on Ebay and have often wondered when the details are, as with these, to be added later will be picked up by my searches. John

A plaque was for sale last year with a picture showing the front left side only, and a description claiming it to be a "unique name".

Medals are regularly listed without details, although some people are unaware they are named. 

A photo postcard of a RWF Sjt. was for sale recently. The back of the card was said to show name, number, company and section details. I sent a message to the seller asking for the details, as the Sjt. was serving with the local T.F battalion;  I received a reply asking what names I was looking for!

6 hours ago, Ilbury Welsh said:

This is I believe Mandy, one of those situations whereby the seller has been offered cheap fees by Ebay if listed by a certain time/date, so whacked them on quickly using a stock photo. I have a number of auto-searches set up on Ebay and have often wondered when the details are, as with these, to be added later will be picked up by my searches. John

I think you have sussed it John.   I suppose if I watched them, I would be alerted by eBay to a change in the description.

3 hours ago, GWF1967 said:

A plaque was for sale last year with a picture showing the front left side only, and a description claiming it to be a "unique name".

Medals are regularly listed without details, although some people are unaware they are named. 

A photo postcard of a RWF Sjt. was for sale recently. The back of the card was said to show name, number, company and section details. I sent a message to the seller asking for the details, as the Sjt. was serving with the local T.F battalion;  I received a reply asking what names I was looking for!

The people that annoy me the most, are the ones that sell death plaques, with just a photo.  No name in the title or description.  Then you have to click into each one to look at the picture and then eBay pester by asking if you are still interested, in the item you have browsed.

Mandy

if on the well known auction site,in the search ,if you put killed in action or kia lots of Memorial Plaques /medals appear,the only  reason I look I have medals to a welsh man who also had a MP,I am trying to reunite

This has been brought up in a recent post and as Broomers rightly said better to have the chance of buying rather than the scrap man 

:poppy:

If you Click on the sellers shop in the first link posted by Mandy

you will find that the seller has a number of named Death Plaques for sale and quite a few medals

Ray

thank you Ray,have had a looksee,lots of MP but not my man,I have saved him a seller so will be notified when ever..

Biffo :poppy: