Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Battle of Coronel

Droocoo

Hi all,

I am researching Gunner 8439 Alfred James Watson Royal Marine Artillery of the HMS Good Hope who was killed in action at the Battle of Coronel on the 1st November 1914.

I was told on an earlier post that members of the Royal Marine Artillery tended to serve on the main Q and X guns of battleships. Was this true on the HMS Good Hope and is it therefore possible to place Alfred in one/two turrets? This is important, as I would like to gain a better understanding of his role in the battle. I understand that the HMS Good Hope was hit in one of her magazines and broke in half as she sank, but that beforehand she had been hit in one of her turrets.

I am wondering whether Alfred was killed in one of these blasts and I am also wondering what happened play by play to the HMS Good Hope that day.

Here is an eyewitness source that I have found so far:

Thank you all in advance for your help,

Andrew

His 1914/15 Star and Victory Medal sold this evening on a web based action site for £285.

Search for HMS Good Hope on this forum. 

58DM.

Thank you for the information but that does not answer my question regarding Alfred’s placement on the day of the battle.

We can't be sure but Horatio2's response in RMA gives a good idea. Turrets or magazines most likely.

58DM.

We have discussed which guns were served by men of the RMA and which were served by gunnery qualified men of the RMLI before. 

I think that it was decided/suggested that gunnery qualified RMLI men might serve guns up to 6 inch. Larger than that would be served by RMA men. (I hope that members of the forum with more expertise than I have will confirm this.)

HMS Good Hope carried two 9.2 inch guns (in single gun turrets fore and aft) and sixteen 6 inch guns (in single mountings - eight on either side). The RMA men would probably have manned at least one of the 9.2 turrets and possibly some of the 6 inch mountings.

If I remember rightly the forward 9.2 turret was knocked out very early in the engagement.

I am sure that someone with more expertise than I have will respond.

1 hour ago, Droocoo said:

is it therefore possible to place Alfred in one/two turrets? This is important, as I would like to gain a better understanding of his role in the battle. I understand that the HMS Good Hope was hit in one of her magazines and broke in half as she sank, but that beforehand she had been hit in one of her turrets.

I am wondering whether Alfred was killed in one of these blasts

Other than observing that his action station was probably in one of the gun mountings or turrets, I am sorry to say that there is no way your questions and suppositions can be answered in any detail.

Thank you for your answers that somewhat answers my questions! I’ll do some more reading and see what I can find