Great War Forum

Remembered Today:

Droocoo

Royal Marine Artillery

Droocoo

Good evening,

I was wondering what the function of the Royal Marine Artillery was aboard ships in 1914 out at sea? Would gunners be expected to man emplacements aboard battleships?

Kindest Regards,

Andrew

horatio2

In battleships men of the RMA manned one of the main turrets in action (usually 'X' or 'Q' turret) and also manned the associated ammunition room and magazine.

Droocoo

Thank you for your response. Is there a reliable figure known for the men of the RMA who served in the war and how many were casualties?

seaJane

I get 766 dead on CWGC with this search (Royal Marine Artillery in Regiment) but it seems a low figure to me. I may have missed some, especially if data entry was inconsistent.

https://www.cwgc.org/find/find-war-dead/results?regiment=Royal%2BMarine%2BArtillery

horatio2
Posted (edited)

CWGC lists 725 WW1 casualties for ORs with RMA register numbers (search RMA* for service number). A bit lower than sJ above but that would not include officers.

Blumberg Appendix 1 (Casualties 4/8/14 - 5/4/19) records: RMA officers - 26 died and 36 wounded; RMA ORs - 664 died and 400 wounded. TOTAL 690 dead and 436 wounded. Total are for shore and afloat.

The RM Medal Roll lists 11,246 RMA who qualified for WW1 medals.

Edited by horatio2

Droocoo

Thank you for your responses once more. Is there perhaps a particular reference book that I can read up about the RMA from? I am interested in the period 1899-1914 

seaJane
Posted (edited)

Cannot speak as to quality, and you would have to use a library or buy second-hand, but this does cover subject and period:-

The Royal Marine Artillery, 1804-1923 /

by Edward Fraser & L G Carr Laughton.

London, Royal United Service institution, 1930.

Edited by seaJane
trypo

Droocoo

Thank you very much 

58 Div Mule

Also try Britains Sea Soldiers 1914-1918 by Blumberg. Reprints available. Not exclusively RMA.

58 DM.