Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

1909 EFD P1907

5thBatt

Just picked up another Hookey, this one is without a scabbard but did not cost the earth either, will post more detail photos after a clean & the light is betterIMG_20190526_162120.jpg.950823eec7d7ec440a6e5abd0ec980f8.jpgIMG_20190526_162213.jpg.3e4782694d872f4023497f0a73c5d4da.jpgIMG_20190526_162259.jpg.e05c98d233b2cad8bb52201362c15c14.jpg

IMG_20190526_162323.jpg

Nice! And crossguard markings suggesting that it went 'down under'! No SOS mark?

Sale mark is on the Pommel, marking on the cross guard is V1942 so not typical of my 1910s, there was another 2 of the NZ 1910s in the auction, one with the correct '10 dated scabbard, the price was too high for me today on the good 1910 & the other was a rehook but went for the same price as the good one! 

5th,

That is a nice early one, and like most other HQ’s that I see, it has no re-inspection stamps.

Even 1918’s will often have 2 or 3 of them, so it always puzzles me.

When you say “rehook”, do you mean what we think you mean?

Regards,

JMB

5 hours ago, JMB1943 said:

5th,

That is a nice early one, and like most other HQ’s that I see, it has no re-inspection stamps.

Even 1918’s will often have 2 or 3 of them, so it always puzzles me.e 

When you say “rehook”, do you mean what we think you mean?

Regards,

JMB

Yep, had a hook reattached, it was one of the more obvious ones i have looked at (if you're looking for it) helped by the fact the other 1910 sitting right next to it was from the same maker (Wilkinson) 

14 hours ago, 5thBatt said:

Sale mark is on the Pommel, marking on the cross guard is V1942 so not typical of my 1910s ...

Not sure if you know already, but this one is marked to the State of Victoria, so an Aussie issue bayonet originally. The letter V was used in the inventory marking prior to the change to 3rd Military District marking commonly seen on the wartime production bayonets.

2 hours ago, shippingsteel said:

Not sure if you know already, but this one is marked to the State of Victoria, so an Aussie issue bayonet originally. The letter V was used in the inventory marking prior to the change to 3rd Military District marking commonly seen on the wartime production bayonets.

Thanks, wasn't sure on that but made that comment to my mate at the auction, should be a good companion to my 1907 BSA with 3MD markings then. 

Hadn't looked too closely at the markings when I posted no. 2 as I was on the way out to the opticians(!), but cheering news to have first thoughts confirmed! More to the point, though, I do have a companion V-marked piece - but it is at home in Turkey and I am in the UK right now so can't check the number...