Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Understanding and reading Pension Ledgers

johnboy

Does anyone know the rules re a mother getting a pension for a son KIA?

Edited by johnboy

4 minutes ago, johnboy said:

Does anyone know the rules re a mother getting a pension for a son KIA?

Depended if she was a dependant or not.

Craig

The son was single. He had a married brother, a single brother and two single sisters, I can find no records of service for for the single brother. He was of age to serve and occupation in 1911 was grocers assistant. so i doubt he was exempt. His mother was a widow

Edited by johnboy

14 minutes ago, johnboy said:

The son was single. He had a married brother, a single brother and two single sisters, I can find no records of service for for the single brother. He was of age to serve and occupation in 1911 was grocers assistant. so i doubt he was exempt. His mother was a widow

What was his name and number ?

Craig

Thomas William Hewish  but pension entry is indexed for mother Emma 

Her pension was under article 21(1)(a) of the Royal Warrant on the basis she had been dependent on him

Craig

Thanks so much. Did WFA do any research on the records or just hand them over to be digitised?

Thanks Charlie. I was hoping to find a guide on what all the different letters/numbers mean. How to interperate an entry.

24 minutes ago, johnboy said:

Thanks Charlie. I was hoping to find a guide on what all the different letters/numbers mean. How to interperate an entry.

There isn't one I'm afraid.

That reminds me that I'd said to David I'd try and put one together. I got some done and then got tied up with work etc.

Many of the codes are administrative and lost to time. Which ones in particular are you interested in?

Craig

The information in the left hand column 'other action' is a record of administrative actions - claims being checked, being filed etc

The 'particulars of award' is for 6s/6d under regulation 21(1)(a) of the Royal Warrant on Pensions.

Craig