Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Disabilities for pension

MaxD

The clip is from the pension card for a man who served in the Great War.  His pension card clearly notes that he has myalgia and a gunshot wound to the left arm both of which are classified attributable.702457698_Screenshot(6).png.06209110a0219ed957f8b820128fd958.pngHis service record has no mention of any wounding during his service (which was with the Labour Corps when overseas), he is deemed fit on entry to the Special Reserve in August in 1914 (he served on until July 1919).and there are no remarks about anything on "discharge on consequence of...."

He had previously served 12 years including during the Boer War where he had been severely wounded.  

I see two possible scenarios.

1.  He was wounded during the Great War but his records don't show it (he has no SWB).

2.  He was able to cite the Boer War wounding as part of his Great War pension claim.

I'd be most grateful for pals' considered thoughts.

Max.

He would only have a SWB if he had been discharged due to the illness/injury - the ledger suggests he was transferred to Class z 'Date of trans' so a SWB would not be applicable.

The pension would be paid on the basis of illness/injury declared from WW1 service.

Craig

Soldiers could also be eligible for the SWB because of discharge through age. AO 316 of 1916 refers. Bear in mind also that pensions could often be temporary.

TR

Edited by Terry_Reeves

Just been digging around and there was a Royal Warrant of 1920 which resulted in pensioners of 'former wars' having their pensions increased but it seems to make no provision in respect of a man being pensioned out with a disability and then re-joining. I'd imagine that any man with an army disability pension was unlikely to have been re-employed in WW1.

Craig

2 hours ago, MaxD said:

The clip is from the pension card for a man who served in the Great War.  His pension card clearly notes that he has myalgia and a gunshot wound to the left arm both of which are classified attributable.702457698_Screenshot(6).png.06209110a0219ed957f8b820128fd958.pngHis service record has no mention of any wounding during his service (which was with the Labour Corps when overseas), he is deemed fit on entry to the Special Reserve in August in 1914 (he served on until July 1919).and there are no remarks about anything on "discharge on consequence of...."

He had previously served 12 years including during the Boer War where he had been severely wounded.  

I see two possible scenarios.

1.  He was wounded during the Great War but his records don't show it (he has no SWB).

2.  He was able to cite the Boer War wounding as part of his Great War pension claim.

I'd be most grateful for pals' considered thoughts.

Max.

Can you link to the ledger please.

Craig

https://www.fold3.com/image/644379158?xid=1022 and https://www.fold3.com/image/644609135?xid=1022&_ga=2.46213924.242533197.1558105896-1555101898.1539262208

(Only just discovered the second of these which appears to update the first).  Now adds a gas poisoning.

Max

PS My remark about a SWB was not meant to suggest I thought he should have one, it was just a bit of extra info.

Edited by MaxD
PS added

Perhaps he had service other than with LC, different number. Wounded then transferred to LC which are the records found so far. June 19 applied for pension.

TEW

He did have other Great War service but the only overseas service was with the Labour Corps, initially with a Div Employment Company then with the Chinese Labour Corps.

Just worked out also that his earlier 12 years service was with the Berkshires 1894-1906, wounded 1900.  Plenty of time to recover from a wounding while still carrying the scars 19 years later?

Max